pilot light wil not stay on with a new thermocouple installed.

Old 11-14-10, 11:30 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile pilot light wil not stay on with a new thermocouple installed.

I installed a new thermocouple in the vented gas fireplace. But the pilot light will not stay lit. I have adjusted the pilot light screw adj. I have adjusted the air/fuel mixture valve. Still nothing. The thermocouple is correctly positioned at the pilot flame. I have held down the pilot knob for 5 minutes, until the thermocouple is nice and red hot. But still nothing. My next move is to disassemble the valve body from the unit and clean all of the threaded orifices and electrical connections. If after putting it back together, it still doesnt work. Should I put a new valve body in? Also I am not sure if it has a draft spill (limit) switch in it or not. It is a Stardance Natural Vented Gas Fireplace Heater model # snv30. It is free standing with a 5" chiminy pipe going to the roof. If it has a draft switch, where would it be located at? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im in a position that I can not hire an expert or a certified service technician. So Im asking online for any help. Thank you Travis

Old 11-16-10, 02:45 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Travis, gas valves are not designed to be repaired or serviced, only replaced. There are many things that can cause a gas fireplace to shut down and many of them are safety related. Shut the gas off to your fireplace until you can afford to have a professional look at it.......your family's life depends on it !!!

Old 11-16-10, 06:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The manual for your fireplace is at

http://www.vermontcastings.org/catal...004406_SNV.pdf

There is a vent safety switch in series with the thermocouple. If the safety switch opens, the pilot light wont stay lit.

A bad safety switch is a fairly common problem, so I'd check it out. If the wires are accessible, you can temporarily disconnect the wires and short them together. If the thermocouple holds, replace the switch.

Or measure the millivolts on both sides of the switch ---- they should be relatively equal. If there is a big difference, replace the switch.

For what it's worth, you should be paying attention to the troubleshooting procedures described on page 19 of the manual. The problem I've described is listed as Symptom 2 cause C.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: