Fireplace Door Insulation

Old 12-17-10, 01:23 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Fireplace Door Insulation

There is quite a bit of air seeping through the gaps around my fireplace doors. Is there a specific type of insulating tape, weather stripping, etc., that I can apply to the frame of the doors (i.e., the jamb) that will block this cold air.

Old 12-17-10, 07:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do you burn wood or gas?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Old 12-19-10, 08:13 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Wood fireplace. Tried some regular weatherstripping yesterday and it blocked the draft nicely, but when I used the fireplace, the weatherstripping began peeling off due to the heat (expected). Is there a more heavy-duty heat-tolerant weather stripping for my specific application?

Old 02-18-12, 09:46 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roxul Stone Wool Insulation

I'm going to try some Roxul stone wool insulation - just ordered it today. It's nearly fireproof, and you can purchase it through Lowe's online. What I don't use between my metal fireplace door and brick fireplace, I'll use elsewhere in the house. I purchased a bat of the Safe'n'Sound so that maybe i can minimize some of the outdoors noise. Safe'n'Sound is denser than Roxul Comfort bats, so it's not as good when it comes to thermal insulation. Safe'n'Sound is actually designed for interior walls, ceilings and floors. And since Roxul's products can withstand so much heat, I choose it to use behind my fireplace door. I was unable to find a suitable product at actual Lowe's and Home Depot locations, and the fireplace door insulation offered at local specialty fireplace stores was thin flimsy junk. So check out Roxul, and definitely watch that little video that's on its Website - the product is amazing.

Old 02-18-12, 03:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There should be a rating plate on the fireplace that list the make, model and serial number of the fireplace. Post that information here.

In general, the right thing to do would be to order the correct gasket material for the glass from the fireplace manufacturer or a local dealer. There are all kinds of gasket material, ordering the right stuff will insure it fits properly and works correctly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: