Propane tank questions / wall heater installation

Old 12-20-10, 11:56 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Propane tank questions / wall heater installation

I want to install a gas wall heater for emergency use whenever the power fails or in case of loss of normal heat. Last year we found that our fireplace was not able to help us when we lost power for 5 days and don't want a repeat. I will add a pellet stove down the line, and was afraid a gas logs setup would be a waste of time since so much heat is lost up the chimney.
Anyway...I have purchases a 30,000btu "blue flame" propane wall heater, a hook up kit, a 100lb propane tank, and a dual stage propane regulator. I know the tank goes outside and so forth but I am wondering about a few things....Does the tank and regulator require protection from snow and rain? What kind or protection is needed? The 100lb tank ahs no threaded hokk up like my smaller tank I use on my grill. Looks like the regulator screws into the tank....so anytime I need to fill it i would have to re seal the regulator??? or, and I still missing something here? I know I will need some flexible hose and 1/2 black pipe etc. but has anyone here ever done this and can you walk me through the procedure???

Old 12-20-10, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Im sure the place you are renting the tank from has all neccesary hardware and or knowlage on this. Or where you bought the unit from.

LP is expensive and since you have a fireplace an insert or stove would radiate more heat. Wood is cheap and sometimes free depending on where you live.

Here is an example. There are many companys out there.

Wood Burning Fireplace Inserts - Napoleon, Osburn, Appalachian

I am leary about anything ventless because of co2 concerns. But if you bought it and made your mind up then ask your LP dealer or blueflame dealer.

Good luck.

Mike NJ

Old 12-20-10, 12:35 PM
J
I have a wood stove downstairs but does no good for the upstairs where we spend almost all of our time. the fireplace is usable but when total power failure occurs it is almost worthless. We ran it two days solid last year when we lost power for 5 days and gave up because the wood had to be replaced every 30 minutes or so. We burned through way too much wood and temp kept dropping. the tank came from Lowes and they are as worthless as the fireplace. Again, this is a emergency item ONLY....will not be run otherwise. Winter has been tough already here with two snowfalls and power outages and we are not even into january. I also have a generator now, but since we are all electric here except for the buckstove I have to have an alternate form of heat just in case. I will buy either another wood stove or pellet stove, but not until next year at best....just can't afford it right now as things are tough. I plan on mounting this heater near the fireplace and will be sure all safety is addressed including CO detectors. But I may never need it. If I do not use it this year I will simply use the tank for my grill and find a place for the stove.
I can't move the buck stove either as it is needed to keep the pipes and wife's laundry room area warm...would lose all water if I tried that.

Last edited by JimElectric; 12-20-10 at 12:38 PM. Reason: spellinjg /additonal
Old 12-20-10, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
This is what I would do if I had a fireplace. The inserts I sent before need electric for the fans and I dont think are good.

Welcome to Woodstock Soapstone

But since you want to do what you stated and money is tight take a look at one of these. My father used this when we were kids. Kerosene was cheaper then fuel oil in the late 1970's. It heated are whole house.

MSI Wicks and Heaters: CV2230

I dont know what heat you have(you said electric) but I wired in a tranfer switch and have a small generator. I wired just necessary items. Well Pump, heat, refridge, a few lights tv, ceiling fans. For high loads like well pump I shut all other circuits down and everyone takes a shower. Then no more water I turn well off and refridge lights and heat on. This way I did not have to buy a giant gen. Just big enough to start and run my highest draw appliance.

Just throwing options out there for you....

Mike NJ

Old 12-20-10, 01:14 PM
J
Thanks. ideas always appreciated. I was just talking about kersosene heaters with a guy I work with and my sister and brother n law use them. However here we see muliple homes burned a year by those and I am scared stiff of them. Probably as safe as a propane heater though. I suppose I could return all of this stuff but we already are looking at our third snow coming (Xmas ever no less) and I have that feeling I may have to use what I have. Might not hurt to see what the total cost would be for a decent wood burner, but with installation I would think it would be a problem to pay for. Will make a few calls. Can't hurt.

Old 12-20-10, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
Send some snow up here to NJ. And send a good power failure. I have not used my gen in a while. I alway like when the neighbors knock on my door and ask me why I have lights and they dont. LOL

Good luck on your venture. Just be careful about CO2 issues. Read your instructions.

Merry X-mas

Mike NJ

Old 12-20-10, 01:30 PM
D
The tank and regulator do not need to be protected from the weather.

If you go the Pellet Stove route next year realize you will need continuous power to run it, so you will be filling your generator with gas and the stove with pellets. IMHO, I would suggest a freestanding stove placed in your fireplace, if there is room. Even better, I would bet for the price of a pellets stove you could go for a wood stove insert that will heat your entire house and only need feeding every 6-8 hours.

Old 12-20-10, 03:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My favorite generator story involved neighboring homeowners where the power had been out for a week.

One neighbor had a generator, and had it going 24/7 for the week.

The neighbor wound up coming over to crab about the noise of the generator running all the time.

The guy with the generator gave his neighbor a long look ------ and told him he could plug into the generator if he had a long enough extension cord.

No more complaints!

Old 12-20-10, 04:18 PM
J
In response to the question by jessi, most of the heat simply went up the chimney and could not heat my house. We tried sleeping in front of it even and that was a waste for me as I had to feed the fire every 35-45 minutes. The temperature outside was less than 20 degrees and it simply could not hold any temperature. We burned almost all of our wood in less than 48hrs and it was a joke. Stayed with my mom for three days after that while the power company tried in vain to restore power. I now have a generator and that no doubt will help us run the buck stove and fridge. It is just not large enough to power all of the heat needed.
Thanks for all of the replies so far to all of you. I find myself more or less having to use this propane heater as a backup....I spoke to two places that sells wood stoves and right now I am about 12-16 months from being able to afford one. So i will either install myself or pay one of our customers to install this heater. I just noticed that this 100lb cylinder is different than the 20lbs one with no "quick connect" and was unsure if these 100lb cylinders were weatherproof like the big tanks I see around here. Will ask local hardware folks, should have bought the stuff from them anyway....

Old 12-20-10, 04:32 PM
J
I am leaning towards that when I can buy one, as it looks like pellet stoves have too many working parts and are more money. The buckstove I have downstairs used to be upstairs but previous owner moved it. We also used to have regular gas here which was nice. I could have simply powered up a generator and be happy. But the gas line here was 1400 feet to the meter, and broke one fall. It crossed 4 properties and two roads....no way i was gonna tackle that. Our house was the first and only house on our "hill" to have gas, and it was the ONLY house here period when built (1974). Not any more though.

Old 12-21-10, 05:28 AM
D
Yes, a tank that size is unlikely to have a quick disconnect like a barbecue grill since they obviously don't want folks using it for that. I would recommend adding a pressure gauge, and a separate fill connection. When you are below 10-20% call a local propane company to top it off. As I recall once you fall below 5% the pressure oscillation could cause a problem for your stove.

Had you thought of buying a bigger stove for the basement, and moving that buck stove back upstairs? Since it is in your basement, your probably don't care what it looks like, so you could wait for something cheap to crop up on craigslist. And by combining the two you should be able to heat the entire place.

Old 12-21-10, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by JimElectric View Post
But the gas line here was 1400 feet to the meter, and broke one fall. It crossed 4 properties and two roads....no way i was gonna tackle that.
The municipal authority people should address that. Are they not responsible for all sevice up to the meter??

Old 12-22-10, 06:07 AM
J
I was told I was responsible for anything from the meter to my house....problem was of course the meter was 1400' away....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: