Chimney built on top of wood shelf

Old 12-23-10, 10:13 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chimney built on top of wood shelf

I have a Folk Victorian built in 1914. I pulled out a zero-clearance fireplace and discovered that it was using a brick fireplace to vent. (It was hidden behind the massive frame they built for the fireplace.)

The odd part is that the chimney is build on a wood base. The base is a wood shelf that is 66 inches tall and has 2" X 14" sides. The chimney goes from the top of the shelf up through a second floor (converted attic).

Has anyone heard of a chimney built on a wood base?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-10, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We live in 1860 farmhouse, NE Ohio, moved in about 1980. The house had 3 brick chimneys, we removed two, one was in living room other was top of 2nd floor stairs & both were inside of house. The living room chimney was just inside the house against outside wall went up thru 2nd floor bedroom thru attic, & 2nd floor hallway chimney was in center of house. Both had "pie plate" type steel covers about 18" from ceiling in the brick. We figure must have been free standing coal/wood stoves. Mortar as bad in both chimneys so I took them out long time ago, both chimneys were built on top of a wood box, maybe 16"x16"x36" or so high. We still have two chimneys side by side outside wall back of house, we don't trust mortar, we capped them & dont need the vent in basement, upgraded to electric water heater and 90+ furnace, neither require a chimney to vent. You may have a house that was around during civil war, like this one?