firebrick

Old 12-22-00, 08:13 AM
Visiting Guest
In my new home I have a heatelator fireplace with just a metal box. My question is, should this box be lined with firebrick to increase the heat output or what is the function of firebrick.
Thanks Blaine

Old 12-22-00, 09:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Blaine,
A Heat-A-Lator-type firebox is usually double-walled steel that circulates air between the steel walls (either by blower or convection) to give you heated air back into the room.
It takes cooler air in near the floor, and blows it back out heated at the top. It doesn't need firebrick.
Firebrick is needed in a conventional masonry fireplace to withstand direct fires.
Enjoy your fireplace. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-22-00, 10:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Hi both you guys,

I must be bored because I am replying, yet know nothing factual about firebricks. lol I just wanted to complete Old Guy's thought that he started.

"Firebrick is needed in a conventional masonry fireplace to withstand direct fires"....without cracking and crumbling.

Am I right Old Guy? Seems like someone told me firebrick is baked at a higher temperature or some such thing, than regular patio brick.

And a Merry Christmas to all !

Mark

Old 12-22-00, 05:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Hey, Mark!
You're right.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Old 12-23-00, 06:15 AM
Visiting Guest
Old Guy, Mark, Thanks for taking the time to answer my queston on firebrick. Seasons greetins to both of you.
Blaine

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: