Attaching Wood Shelving to Brick

Old 12-23-00, 03:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hi everyone and hopefully someone will be able to help. My husband and I just bought our 1st home. There is a fireplace in the basement (woodburning but w/gas override). the wall which it is on is entirely brick. So, at the moment, it is rather plain looking. We'd like to install a large wood shelf on the wall but are stymied as to how to anchor it into the brick. Any suggestions?
thanks!

Old 12-24-00, 06:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

You just need to use a carbide masonry bit to drill anchor holes into the mortar (much easier than trying to drill into the brick).
There are threaded, expandable lead anchors for lag bolts/screws made for this purpose, if you use shelving braces.
(If your mantle shelving is wood, it needs to be at least 12" above the top of the firebox for safety.)
You also can use wood dowels driven into the mortar holes with matching holes drilled into the back of your mantlepiece (thick board or a beam)for a hidden effect. If they are tight enough, you don't even have to glue them (but you can with epoxy, if you're sure that you never want to remove it.
If you use this method, I would put a dowel about every 1.5'-2' or so to handle the weight of the mantle and anything that you want to put on it.
Good Luck and Merry Christmas!!!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: