Heatilator gas >fireplace< won't stay lit

Old 02-21-11, 08:19 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heatilator gas >fireplace< won't stay lit

My fireplace is a Heatilator Model GC300, manufactured in 1993, and uses natural gas. Recently the unit shut off after running for about 2 minutes. I found the standing pilot light was not burning. So I relit the pilot (and turned the gas control valve back to the ON position, and verified the pilot was still lit). Soon as I turn on the wall switch to light the main burner, the pilot light goes out. This repeated several times. I waited a day, relit the pilot, and finally got the main burner to light. But after about one minute, the entire system shut off again. I replaced the gas control valve about 3 years ago so that shouldn't be the bad component. Any ideas? TIA.

Old 02-21-11, 08:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Odds are that the pilot burner and pilot orifice are dirty and need to be cleaned.

If you are lucky you can turn the pilot off, squirt compressed air into the pilot burner to clean it and relight the pilot burner and have it work.

Old 02-25-11, 06:37 PM
G
Thanks SeattlePioneer, your suggestion solved the problem. I'm lucky for a change.

Oops, spoke too soon. It went out after burning for about 5 minutes.

Last edited by gboone; 02-25-11 at 06:52 PM. Reason: It went out 5 minutes later
Old 02-25-11, 10:33 PM
A second thing to try is to remove the wall switch and either replace it or short the wires together. It's fairly common for the wall switch to develop enough resistance to prevent the burner from lighting with millivolt gas valves.

Old 02-26-11, 03:56 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello gboone and Welcome to our Do It Yourself Web Site and the Fireplace forum.

Either the pilot assembly is still dusty causing a yellow tipped flame and/or the pilot flame is not hot enough and/or the pilot generator is weak and/or defective. Remove and Clean the pilot assembly again and also replace the pilot generator (PG)

The ends of a "Pilot Generator" will have wire leads and metal wire terminal ends. These ends most often have one of three different style terminal endings. A "Y" metal terminal end or an "O" style end or an open "Spade" terminal end.

A pilot generator can be identified as, usually but not always, having two wire leads. These wires leads, are usually attached directly to the body of the gas valve with small screws. The pilot generators wires can also be attached to a reset device not directly located on the gas valves main body part.

Pilot Generators do become weak and/or worn out or otherwise defective. Both time and the flames continuous heating of the pilot generator element parts contributes to them wearing out over time.

These parts are often the most likely part to cause any gas appliance equipped with this type and or style of safety device, to become inoperable. It is also one of the easiest and least expensive of parts to replace.

If the gas appliances pilot flame has an all BLUE pilot flame at the pilot assembly that encircles the existing pilot generator, replacing the part with a new one first, may resolve a pilot outage caused appliance failure.

A "Magneto" head is NOT likely to become the first part to create an operational problem. Rarely, in my experiences, do these parts ever fail. However, if you correctly installed a new thermocouple and the appliances pilot still does not remain on, suspect the magneto head as the second most likely defective part.

The magneto head part, if this part is NOT built into the gas valves main body, may be removable. Magnetos screw directly into the gas valve or other safety device. This item is available at local retail appliance parts stores and hardware stores. Closely follow all enclosed installation instructions.

An excellent source for original replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store and most gas fireplace appliance retail sales dealers. Appliance parts dealers have replacement parts for all gas log appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. The info you provide will help to determine the problem causes.

For additional information read the existing questions pertaining to gas log or fireplace related topics. The questions asked describe like or similarly related problems as your question.

These prior postings and the replies offered within them contain all the required information needed pertaining to the many potential or possible problems with gas log appliances.

An excellent source for original replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store and most gas fireplace appliance retail sales dealers. Appliance parts dealers have replacement parts for all gas log appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. The info you provide will help to determine the problem causes.

For additional information read the existing questions pertaining to gas log or fireplace related topics. The questions asked describe like or similarly related problems as your question.

These prior postings and the replies offered within them contain all the required information needed pertaining to the many potential or possible problems with gas log appliances.

Excerpts from prior post replies:
Many types of appliances use a 'Pilot Generator' part to produce DC electrical current. When the generator is heated by the pilots flame it produces a small amount of electrical current. The amount of heat provided to the generator and the actual size of the pilot generator element determines the electrical output of the generator.

If the pilot flame is burning blue without any signs of yellow flames and the pilot generators tip is encircled in the pilots flames and it's tip is glowing red but the furnace fails to turn on the burner or the pilots flame fails to remain 'ON', the generator is most likely worn out or burned out and will need to be replaced.

If the pilot has any yellow in it's flame, then the pilot flame most likely isn't burning HOT enough to heat the generator HOT enough to allow it to produce it's full capacity of current. When the pilots flame is yellowed, the pilot assembly will have to be cleaned out of any lint, dust, spiders, etc. so the flame can burn all blue.

If you need further assistance, continue to use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically move your question to the top of the forums list of questions.

Old 02-26-11, 06:37 AM
P
Heatilator CD4236 Natural Gas

My Pilot will not stay lit. This fireplace has the Intellifire Plus System. The unit is about 3 years old. I have called a lot of service companies and they can't or will not answer my questions. When you turn the wall switch on the spark ignitor lights the pilot but then the pilot immediatelly goes out. I had one person tell me it had to be the pilot assembly. I paid $80.00 dollars for one, installed it and it is still doing the same thing. Can anybody Help.

Old 10-22-11, 08:37 PM
G
I gave up on fixing the problem last winter but working on it again now. I replaced the thermistor and can light the pilot. I let it burn a while to get it nice and hot. I still have the same problem. Immediately after I turn on the wall switch, the pilot goes out. I can hear the main gas valve click at the same time. I tried bypassing the wall switch but that made no difference. I also blew out the pilot tubing with compressed air. I'm considering replacing the main gas valve again, but at $150, I'd like to know for certain that it's the problem. Also is it likely that a 3 year old valve would fail? What else? Thanks.

Old 10-23-11, 08:35 PM
G
Now if I'm fast enough with my hammer, I can wack the gas valve before the pilot goes out and get the main burner to come on.

Old 10-29-11, 06:30 PM
J
Heatilator CD4236, I believe from user manual, with Intellifire

Hello,
I just read through these posts. We have the above mentioned fireplace. Not turned on a lot but today tried to fire up and it comes on perfectly for about 6-7 seconds and then shuts down completely. I checked wires and the only odd thing is a harness with just a black and red wire that's connected but the green(ground?) is not. Honestly it doesnt look like it ever was however and it did work. Any suggestions on where i might start if i wanted to trouble shoot this myself. It is an LP type gas also btw.
Thanks
JSW

Old 12-18-11, 02:38 PM
F
Arrow Same Here

Hi all.

I bought an old house a few years back. I have an insert with the same apparent problem.

I depress the knob, light the pilot, holding the knob for 60 seconds. The pilot stays lit just fine.

When I turn the knob to the main burners, they light, but it appears the pilot shuts off. After a minute or two, the main burners then shut off and everything is dark.

My only thought is that the gas pressure drops from the pilot when the main burners turn on, and that the flame from the main burners, not having the pilot right in the tip of a well directed flame, is not hot enough? Any ideas since you last tried to troubleshoot? I'm stumped.

Old 12-19-11, 09:21 PM
Sorry. with all the flashing and blinking your post is unreadable for me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: