smoking fireplace

Old 12-27-00, 03:55 PM
Visiting Guest
my question is if the opening to your fireplace is too big and you can see the handle for the flue and the smoke draws into the room what can be done about it. I was told they have a iron piece that can be installed to take care of this problem. Does this work?

Old 12-27-00, 10:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

I am assuming that you can see the handle to your damper (iron piece)that can be used to open fully, adjust, or close off your chimney flue completely. Have you tried adjusting the damper with the handle?
Open it fully (push up on the handle as far as it will go until it catches), and crack a window in the room with the fireplace to balance the air pressure (helps prevent smoke backdraft). Houses too tight these days.
Your flue should have been originally built to handle whatever size fireplace you have, so the size of the fireplace is not your problem.
Now see if your fireplace draws properly.
You may want to get a professional chimney sweep to clean and inspect your fireplace and flue. If you burn many fires, that should be done annually for safety, anyway.
Good Luck!

Old 12-27-00, 10:48 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
hello
They do have a cast iron fire place face, if it will work with you house decore OK. but if you want to you can use any thing you would like to face the fire place to go with what you have, rock, tile, marble, build the opening to a standard size 36" wide and 24" high if you want glass doors. the doors will help keep the heat in the house, we all know that a fire place is not for heat any more it will steel more heat than it will give, if you are not using the fire place keep damper closed and install glass doors works and looks great. good luck and have fun,,,,,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: