Add Electrical Service Under Direct Vent Natuarl Gas Fireplace

Old 09-02-11, 01:17 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Add Electrical Service Under Direct Vent Natuarl Gas Fireplace

Hi -

I have an 11 year old (or so) Superior brand direct vent natural gas fireplace that was installed by the builder. There is an electrical receptacle under the fireplace but the builder never ran any power to it. The receptacle is there for an optional blower that I also don't have.

I'd like to add a blower to the fireplace, so I'd like to run electrical to this receptacle.

I assume there is just a knockout behind the receptacle that I can fish 14/2 wire though to a receptacle that is probably two stud bays to the side of the fireplace. Is there any problem doing that after the installation of the fireplace? The fireplace won't come out because there is tile over the nailing flange.

Thanks for the advice!

Old 09-03-11, 11:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
I don't understand why the builder would go to all the trouble to install a box, receptacle and cover plate and not any wiring? Are you sure there is no wiring to the receptacle? How will you gain access to that area behind the receptacle? Yes, if you have access to do the work, you can fish a cable over to that receptacle, depending on the existing load and size of wiring and breaker size. Another thought that wasn't clarified. Is this receptacle part of the fireplace or part of the general wiring of the house?

Old 09-03-11, 11:52 AM
J
Thanks, I should have clarified. The receptacle is part of the fireplace. The fireplace manufacture puts it in for optional accessories. I'm sure there is no power run to it.

I was asking because I don't know if it requires special wire (being a fireplace, it gets kind of hot under there) or anything I'm just not thinking of.

Old 09-03-11, 12:38 PM
No, you can run 14-2 NM WG off a 15 amp circuit breaker for that application. Heat rises, and they wouldn't have put the receptacle in a position to be damaged. Do you plan on coming through the floor with your wire? Just curious as to how you plan on getting power to it.

Old 09-03-11, 12:57 PM
J
I'm curios how I'm going to get power to it, too.

There is a knock out on the side, so I'm going to try to use that and drill through the studs in the wall to tie into an outlet two stud bays down. Before I do anything, I'm going to get a fan to make sure it fits. The gas plumbing might prevent a fan from fitting, at which point I would need to hire a contractor to move the gas (I know my limitations and I don't mess with gas). I'll try to get some pictures up later just for fun and in case it helps the next guy with the same question.

Old 09-03-11, 01:20 PM
Don't forget, too, if your fireplace was installed without the intent of a blower, you may not have venting above and below to accommodate the blower. Are there factory vents installed, now? Quite often the venting and blower kits cost almost as much as the basic fireplace. Do you have access below the fireplace in the crawl or basement? That's your best shot. 2 stud bays away will require some sheetrock repair, but nothing substantial. If the receptacles you have are supplied by a 20 amp breaker, you will need to use 12-2 cable to supply the blower

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: