levers on old "BIS 1" zero clearance fireplace do what?

Old 11-17-11, 07:15 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 2 Posts
levers on old "BIS 1" zero clearance fireplace do what?

For years I have been messing around with the two levers that are just below the two glass doors on my BIS 1. There are many different models of BIS that I can find with ONLY ONE lever on the left side, one model you move the slide to the right and it will add more air the fire box, another model you move the ONE lever (again on the left side) to the left to give more air to the box. I HAVE TWO LEVERS under the glass doors on either side. What do they do? Will one provide air to the fire box? And the other provide more air the heat exchanger? Or do they both provide air to the box? and which way should I slide them? Thanks

Old 11-18-11, 11:27 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have the exact same model BIS you do. I recall fishing my fingers up and around those levers to discover they both feed the air box from their respective ends.

We burn wood all year long and have them open the same amount. I do recall messing with them to partly steer the fire. I suppose having two allows even air intake and air wash soot cleaning over the doors.

BTW, if you do a great deal of burning be sure to inspect the ash pan. I noticed the metal on mine last year was extremely brittle so I had to replace it. Fortunately, the company still makes them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: