Brick veneer on framed chimney

Old 12-11-11, 07:50 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Brick veneer on framed chimney

I have a chimney on the roof of my 2-story house that is made of T1-11 plywood siding that needs replacement along with the rest of really exposed parts of the house. I assume the plywood is mounted on a wood frame over a metal flue (or whatever it's called).

I was thinking it would look great after I replace the plywood to put some kind of brick or faux brick veneer over it.

Complications? I've found a few web sites but is this as simple as it sounds? Are there weight issues with thin brick? Most secure way to mount to the plywood?

Old 12-11-11, 09:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yeah, brick would be too heavy. Faux stone may be an option. You should check the framing and OSB exterior and replace or repair any water damaged areas. Then you can apply felt and lath prior to installing the lightweight stone product.

Old 12-11-11, 11:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 893 Upvotes on 754 Posts
Chandler is correct about brick being too heavy.

However, you could do a brick or stone veneer without compilations of weight. It is not overly difficult to do, but it can be time consuming. It can be installed over plywood, but as Chandler stated, to need to cover the plywood with felt and expanded metal lath. Another option is would be faux stone siding panels.

Old 03-01-12, 03:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Janelle, welcome to the forums! Good link. Be careful posting links this early in the game, especially if you are connected to them. Where are you an art student at?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: