wall thermostat for a gas fireplace that's NOT wireless?

Old 12-12-11, 07:12 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wall thermostat for a gas fireplace that's NOT wireless?

We have freestanding gas stove (wood stove with gas log set) that has a handheld wireless remote but I find it to be unreliable. Many times it fails to turn on or off at the appropriate set point. I looked for a wired wall mount but they are all wireless for obvious reasons. I'm guessing you can just use a regular stat of some sort for this but in the manual it says it must not have an anticipator and as far as I know all wall stats have one of those.

Ideally I'd like a wall mounted wired stat that's digital. But considering this is emergency heat as well as ambiance perhaps I should just be using some sort of straight mechanical stat that would turn things on in a power failure? Maybe it has to have a battery backup regardless?

Sorry I haven't done as much research as I normally do before I post. Any ideas or web sites that might go into more detail about how these things can be controlled is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-12-11, 08:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You need a thermostat that specifies that it is appropriate for millivolt operation. Most thermostats are for 24 volt operation. Many these days will specify that they can be used for millivolt or 24 volt low voltage use.

You should be able to find digital thermostats that are powered with batteries and are for either 24 volt or millivolt use easily enough.

Old 12-12-11, 10:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,565 Votes on 1,407 Posts
I was able to find a digital, programmable thermostat at my local home center that works on a millivolt system. It's about the easiest thermostat install I've ever done with just two wires.

I would make sure that your gas stove is capable of working with an external thermostat. I have another gas stove that came with a wireless remote control and there is no provision for hooking it up to a wired thermostat.

Old 12-12-11, 07:19 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

The milivolt clue was what I needed. I've looked around and have a few options. Only think I'm not seeing is one that has Off/Auto/On. Just Off/Auto which makes sense and will be fine. If i just want it ON I'll hit the manual switch on the side of the unit or turn up the heat very high.

I'll pull the manual again and check but I know you can use it with a wall mounted stat. There was some limitation as to how many different controls you could have though. But I'm going to dump the remote for the wall stat and I'm sure that was OK.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: