Wood Stove Install Help

Old 12-15-11, 11:00 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wood Stove Install Help

I have an attached garage, 30' wide x 20' Deep, no insulation or drywall, just studs and plywood with vinyl siding on the outside. No ceiling, just open joists/rafters. I am turning a 20'x20' portion of it into a wood shop. I am getting ready to hang plastic in this area, on the ceiling and walls in help keep the heat in the best area. I have been given a wooden stove with 6" outlet. I am aware of the legal issues (insurance, etc) and I am looking into it currently before I begin the install.

I am looking for the most cost effective way to run the piping, as well as what pieces exactly I will need. Should I run it out of the wall or go up through the ceiling? Funds are low, so the more affordable route and pieces are preferred! Thanks for the help!

Old 12-15-11, 11:30 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Hanging plastic will be an exercise in futility as far as keeping any heat contained so save some money there. You might want to try the plastic to somewhat protect the non-shop area from sawdust but even that will likely be ineffective.

Before you do anything as far as a chimney you need to ascertain the building code requirements for a solid-fuel chimney in your area. Insurance company requirements may also play a role. Violate either and you could be looking at a total loss if anything happens.

I would far prefer to have the chimney exit through the roof than a side wall.

Old 12-16-11, 08:14 AM
As well,i prefer to have chimney exit thru roof also.

First place to start is with your town/city building dept. They should have requirements for proper installation.

I would do a web search on Wood stoves, and installations.
Many of these sites have good information i think you will need to proceed.

Old 12-16-11, 10:02 AM
D
I will third what has already been said: be sure to follow all local code and what your homeowners says.

Do you have a preference for where this stove must be: near a wall, or can it be in the middle of the room? Do you want or will you need free run of the ceiling (e.g., for storage) that a chimney pipe through the roof will impede? Do you care about the look of a chimney pipe that runs up the side?

Finally, have you thought about the BTU output of the stove in relation to the heat loss of your finished area? You don't want a wood stove with grossly over-sided BTU output for the area, otherwise you may not be able to keep a small enough fire going without driving you out of the place.

Perhaps the cheapest solution, is to give some thought on how much insulation you want or need for that size wood stove.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: