A Bogus, Tacky, Possibly Vintage, Gas Log, Fireplace...

Old 12-26-11, 03:05 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A Bogus, Tacky, Possibly Vintage, Gas Log, Fireplace...

We are under contract to buy a home and it has what seems to be called a "Heatilator."

It doesn't fit with our plans for the home, and it being an older model, which I don't have the model number, I cannot find any units matching it, or info on how to disassemble it on the internet at this time.

The real estate agent gave us the name, "Heatilator" from the seller, claiming that it was purchased and installed by homeowner in the mid 70's.
In the mid 80's the seller installed gas logs.

As of late, the gas burner and logs have been removed, and is in a storage building outside, as the seller had been burning wood in it again.
The gas line is capped off outside of the home and is poking into the hearth, and the control mechanism is in a small wooden box next to the side of the unit.

In my limited knowledge and estimation, the unit is complete and salvageable, and I want to remove it completely, close/seal off the flue pipe,(it goes straight up and out of the roof) replace the insulation, interior wallboard, replace the floor molding, paint it to match, and put a whole new carpet down, as if the fireplace was never there, and sell the unit.
I wish the ol' boy had put it in the corner of the room.

I'd appreciate any insight or comments you may have.
Pictures here: http://www.soeastbiker.com/fireplace_page.htm

Old 12-26-11, 07:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Wow, that's a nice installation. The heatilator will slide out of the opening. The black trim pieces may have to come off to allow access to l-brackets holding it to the brick. Some do, some don't. Look for screws going in sideways through the black trim pieces. Is there a metal flue in place currently, or does it use the original brick flue?
You'll have a difficult time making this thing disappear unless you take the brick down. Is that in your plan?

Old 12-27-11, 09:47 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No plan, no mo', and no mo' headache for me.
Seller didn't accept our offer.
Says he'd rather rent it out, now that will be his headache.
Note - hyperlink will be dead in just a little while.
It's been fun, thanks for the comeback Chandler.

Old 12-27-11, 03:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Keep lookin'...it's out there. Who'd want to rent a house when you have a sale in the hand. Doofus. Not you, Jim . Take care and come on back!! We're here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: