wood stove smoking in room wife mad

Old 01-19-12, 03:12 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wood stove smoking in room wife mad

I thought I had posted a thread but can't find it. Bought a used parlor stove, cleaned it up and had three fires in it, some smoke at first but burned pretty good after chimmney warmed up. About 18 degrees this morning so I started a fire and all the smoke came out in the whole house. Chimmney is block with a 8 inch stainless liner, cleaned it before starting the first fire. Stove is in basement so chimmney is 24 feet give or take. the stove uses a 6 inch pipe inceased to the 8 inch thimble, only one 45% elbow. I just added another 8 inch section to the chimmney outside which was allready 2 foot above ridge and I still am getting smoke into the room. All I know to do is clean chimmney again before tossing this steam engine.wife isn't happy at all, having crow for supper, help fellows.

Old 01-19-12, 03:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Where exactly is the smoke coming from? is the stove door leaking? the stove pipe? somewhere else?
A slow burn will help to plug up the chimney but a short hot burn should clean most of that out in the short run.

Old 01-19-12, 04:05 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
If the basement door is closed, there is not enough cold air pushing to drive the lighter warm air up the chimney. Sounds backwards, but air that is colder than the air/smoke from the fire is the driving force behind the draft you need. Either the above or you have a very cold outside chimney that is full of heavier air than inside your home.

As Mark asked, where is the smoke coming from?

An old fireplace trick is to crumple up a single sheet of news paper, no wood, and let it burn to fill the chimney with warmer air. Then load the wood and light it. If you have a basement window, open it a bit to get the process started.

Bud

Old 01-19-12, 04:43 PM
O
I haveboth problems

I believe I have both problems, need to open window a bit, try the newspaper and I do have a cold chimmney, it's on the outside wall and being two storys high has a lot of cold air to heat before it gets to the top. The other stove I had years ago seemed to work pretty well I gave it up years ago because of a heart attack and now have decided I can still take my time and cut a little wood to enjoy the heat I love, just not the smoke. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by old piddler; 01-19-12 at 04:49 PM. Reason: word left out
Old 01-19-12, 04:52 PM
O
Forgot To Answer your Question

Smoke is comming from vents or draft contrll, what ever you call them. It's as if the damper were closed but it isn't.

Old 01-19-12, 06:32 PM
B
Some stoves control air flow on the input and others on the output. My current stove uses the input control and I believe it drafts better. I assume you don't have a damper on the output, ie the metal chimney. If there is one, yes full open.

Burning news paper is not something you want to over do, but you can do a single page several times to be sure you have some heat in the chimney. Metal chimneys usually don't take a lot to warm up and once you get it going you should see the lingering smoke inside headed up and out. Then the wood fire should light and follow. I have been cheating by breaking up one of those fire logs and using a chunk as a fire starter. Stack the wood, light the starter and it's done. Just put the last log on for the night and had to move the puppies over to get to the front of the stove .

Bud

Old 01-20-12, 05:41 AM
D
It sounds like you have an ideal drafting situation with a long vertical run, clearing the peak nicely, and limited restrictions.

However, two things come to mind:
1. As mentioned, depending on how tight the structure, you may not be feeding enough replacement air to induce the draft. Try opening a window to alleviate.
2. If the stove was designed for 6" only, opening up to 8" may be a problem with undesirable volume. On colder days when the air is denser, think of it as a heavier column of air sitting above that stove. With marginal drafting situations this can lead to what you have. The proper way to fix is by going 6" all the way up, if that is what is called for by this stove.

One suggestion not mentioned is using a hair dryer to induce a warm draft.

Old 01-20-12, 06:19 AM
B
The part that is hard to envision is that hot air does not go up all by itself, despite all of the information implying it does. Both hot and cold air are being pulled down by gravity and it is the cold/heavier air that wins the bottom and thus pushes the warm air up. The science is buoyancy. In a chimney application the challenge is to push all of that cold air out of the pipe so that the new combusted air will see the chimney as the easiest path for escape when it is being pushes by the cooler room air.

The problem with the hair dryer is the hot air is being pushed from two directions, a column of cold air in the chimney pushing down and the warm house air in the room (cool compared to the heat in the stove) pushing back. With the door open on the stove, that hot air from the dryer will probably just be pushed back into the room (more pressure in chimney than the room). The news paper approach allows you to close the stove door and thus add some resistance to the expanding hot air coming back into the room and hopefully forcing more of it up the chimney. But, enough hot air has to enter the chimney to make that path lighter than the air in the room. Thus the 8" flue pipe would require more initial hot air to displace the cold air filling it at the start.

Long explanation, but it sometimes helps to really understand why you have a problem.

If you get a burst of initial smoke back into the room, try closing the air intake for a few seconds to see if shutting off that path will force the heat and smoke up the chimney and get the process started. They do make draft inducers, but I think they are on the expensive side.

Bud

Old 01-20-12, 06:25 AM
O
6 inch pipe

I'm, not sure what the reccomendation was for the stove, I know it comes straight up off the top with 6 inch and elbos toward thr thimble with 6 inch then into the short piece that converts it to 8 inch. I started years ago with a 12 inch chimmney and later had a 8 inch liner put in. All that is cemented in so I have cinder block with 12 inch liners and then the 8 inch liner with 2 inches of cement all around that. 'm thinking it might be a problem reducing that to 6 inch. I would have to have a T at the thmble level so soot could drop into clean out. I don't have much other than work invested in this stove and would consider looking forsomething that would give me more advantage. These reproduction Parlor Stoves don't come with a gaskets anywhere, just cast iron to cast iron, no clean out at all so it wouldn't be like giving up my best hunting dog. I am going to try all your suggestions and will let you know by tomorrow because I have company comming today and the house still smells like a strong country smoked ham, thanks fellows.

Old 01-20-12, 06:34 AM
B
An air tight stove with an outside source of combustion air would help by eliminating any path for smoke to get back into the house. Pellet stoves will often run a 4" flex pipe right inside what you have to meet their low exhaust requirements and they are a popular option. Certainly easier to feed than a wood stove.

Check on what that model stove recommends for flue size as dac suggested. I'm not sure if there is a flex option to go from 8" down to 6".

PS, put a ham or turkey on to cook so you can blame the smell on the oven .

Bud

Last edited by Bud9051; 01-20-12 at 06:35 AM. Reason: addition
Old 01-20-12, 08:51 AM
O
The Ham Smell

I will look that size option up Bud and thanks. I have friends with pellet soves and they would be much more convient for mebut I know I need powerand I have always been afraid I would get one and watch the price of pellets double. I'm blessed with acres of wood. Company just called and not comming, guys I swear I believe this was nothing but a scheme to get me to help clean house. Put a woman in the White House, they might work the country to death but they will get things done. Thats why we dont see a law to wear helmets in a car or truck. What idiot with a wife would vote for it?

Old 01-20-12, 01:41 PM
O
GREAT Place For Good Advice

Guys, you had it right, I cleaned chimmney again to be sure but it was ok. Opened basement window and burnt a couple pages of newspaper and cardboard , no smoke. I put the dry wood in and it's burning now like it don't know what else to do.I can't thank you enough.

Old 01-20-12, 02:16 PM
B
There ya go. I just fired my up and sat my wife in front of it. Only way I know to keep her out of my room.

Bud

Old 01-20-12, 05:08 PM
O
Whatever works is worth the effort Bud, she may be asleep by now.

Old 01-27-12, 04:37 PM
G
something that was missed in the thread was the size difference between the flue and the chimney. Although allowable you can go up two sizes in chimney, but it causes a reverse bottle neck effect. Basically lazy draft. With the stove in the basement you have to battle negative pressure, hence cracking the window fixes the smoking back into the house. With and out chimney whether it's masonry or factory built, they are always going to be cold causing poor draft. If it's masonry there's not much you can do other than re lining the chimney. For a factory built chimney, you can build a chase and insulate it. This won't fix the problem, but it will help. Something else you may try is called a top down fire. Place pieces of wood on the bottom roughly the size when you put your index fingers and thumbs together to form a triangle, on top of that smaller pieces of wood. Then smaller pieces of wood, then kindling and then take newspaper, roll it and twist it into double pretzel knots. You'll probably need 5 or 6 of these, light the paper and forget about the stove for at least and hour. I wouldn't recommend outside air for your stove, they generally cause smoking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: