changing fireplace

Old 01-14-01, 07:55 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a full masonary fireplace on main level with a two story house. Inside house, brick is from floor to ceiling. Is this just cosmetic.. or needed to support outside brick? I would like to remove all brick inside house and replace with drywall and would like to have marble around opening of fireplace and marble flush with floor. (give a newer look and eliminate harth) Is this possible? Outside of house has full brick for chimney. I guess the question is, is the chimney brick attached to the inside brick giving support to chimney, can you tell by looking at it... Please help.. too small of a job can't find contractor or brick layer to come look. Have wanted to do this job for 2 years. Or do you have suggestion as to what profession would do this.. Brick layer would not remove he only installs, Marble guy won't remove old brick, contractor said call brick layer... run around. HELP

Old 01-14-01, 10:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

The brick facing of your fireplace should be considered a structural part of your fireplace/chimney. Do NOT try to remove it. That's your problem in trying to find someone to do the work.
You can, however, COVER it by framing/drywalling over it (carpenter and drywall pros).
Also, you can have a marble surround and hearth installed over the bricks (marble/ceramic tile pro).
Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: