Pellet Stove install guidance

Old 03-12-12, 08:11 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pellet Stove install guidance

I ripped out a propane fireplace insert and plan on putting in a free standing pellet stove. I bought a Harman P61A. The propane insert sat back in a faux fireplace (a wood box that goes up two stories on the side of my house). I wanted to frame and drywall this hole to the wood box and build a hearth pad out off of the wall and put the pellet stove there. The only question this brings to the install is for the vent piping. I would now have to use 2 wall thimbles to go through 2 walls and I would have about 2 feet of piping that would be inside a wall (the faux wood box). I have looked everywhere for guidance and I now have all clearances necessary but can't find this one anywhere. Is this allowed? Thank you.....

Old 03-12-12, 09:25 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I can't imagine a problem so long as you maintain clearance from combustibles you should be fine. In theory you don't need any thimbles, if you don't mind installing detailed work around pipes. Its just that thimbles are very convenient, relatively inexpensive and look nice. In fact I think you will only need one thimble - just split it apart. Just in case and before you settle on the final details of your job it would be best to check with you local codes office.

And if you have not purchased your pipe yet, I strongly suggest you buy Excel. It is well worth the extra money.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: