Where does my old fireplace vent???

Old 04-03-12, 07:01 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where does my old fireplace vent???

So, we bought a 1910 built house that has this gorgeous fireplace, but we can't figure out for the life of us where it vents! So we are naturally afraid to use it.

It's a gas fireplace and there is a flue with a pull chain, but the chimney is nowhere near the fireplace, it's actually on the opposite corner of the house. In addition, there is no wall switch to turn it on, but just the gas line with a knob (or handle, whatever you want to call it).

Is it possible, that it actually vents clear over to the chimney on the opposite corner of the house? Maybe, there was a chimney there at one point and it was later covered it up? Or maybe it doesn't need to be vented?

I don't have the slightest idea or have any idea how old the fireplace actually is, but this was a huge selling point for us, as we absolutely love the ambiance that a fireplace gives, but it would be better if it was useable.

Unfortunately, we can't ask the seller as she is mentally unable to provide any information.

How do we check to see where the flue goes, and if it actually vents somewhere?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Click on the link for pics.

Pictures by xmasevebaby82 - Photobucket

Thank you all!

Last edited by xmasevebaby82; 04-03-12 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-03-12, 07:36 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I'll try to post pics later, as I can't seem to figure out how to upload them at the moment.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html Can you find a name plate on the gas burner.

In addition, there is no wall switch to turn it on, but just the gas line with a knob (or handle
Which shows a difference in age. I grew up with match lit gas heaters. I wouldn't even have looked for a switch, just a pilot light.

Old 04-03-12, 07:59 PM
X
I do not see a name plate, but have included a pic of the burner here:
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/.../IMAG00774.jpg

(there's a candle behind it, and obviously some wax that was spilled at some point).

I only mentioned the switch because someone probably would have asked if there was one. I definitely didn't expect a switch fireplace in a house this old!

Old 04-04-12, 03:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It could be a vent free log set. Hopefully not. One pix that would help would be to open the flue via the pull chain and shoot a pix up into the "chimney" area. It looks to be old construction, so unless the chimney was eliminated during a remodel, it should go through the roof at that location, not across the room. Have you been in the attic? Can you take pix in the attic (not closeups). There may be remains of a 100 year old chimney up there, and it was cut off, to allow roof repairs to eliminate a leak.

Old 04-04-12, 08:19 PM
X
It could be a vent free log set. Hopefully not. One pix that would help would be to open the flue via the pull chain and shoot a pix up into the "chimney" area. It looks to be old construction, so unless the chimney was eliminated during a remodel, it should go through the roof at that location, not across the room. Have you been in the attic? Can you take pix in the attic (not closeups). There may be remains of a 100 year old chimney up there, and it was cut off, to allow roof repairs to eliminate a leak.

Well, after further review, it doesn't appear that you just pull the chain to open the flue. It's a cork (see the link to the pics ) that is plugging the vent pipe.
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/...AwODMuanBn.jpg

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/...AwODAuanBn.jpg

This may explain why we don't see a so called 'chimney' but I'm unsure where it could possibly go as there is a bedroom directly above this area. However on the outside of the house, there are vents in the siding, right below where the second story would begin. Could they have possibly vented it like this? Sorry the pic is so dark, it is 10 pm here.

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/...AwODcuanBn.jpg

There is no attic, at some point, the attic was turned into additional living space from what I can tell, adding 3 additional bedrooms and a bath.

Old 04-04-12, 09:30 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I couldn't see your outside picture of the vents, too blue, but I cleaned it up some for the pros to look at.

Old 04-05-12, 01:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I am getting ready to start a project on a house that has a similar set up. Although they have regular vent pipe to the roof.....no chimney, only a roof vent sitting on the shingles. I am going to have my fireplace guy check this out as it is odd to me. From what I can gather, the logs are ventless, but the "chimney" pipe carries the smells up and out so they exit the roof. I will post back what I find, as it certainly seems similar to yours.

Old 04-11-12, 04:58 PM
X
That would be great to let me know. It's not really on my priority list at the moment, since it's getting to be warmer, but would be nice to know for the winter months. Thanks for the reply Chandler and keep us updated!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: