Gas Insert controls on AFCI circuit?

Old 04-05-12, 06:17 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Insert controls on AFCI circuit?

My installer came by yesterday to drill the hole for the electrical service to our rough fireplace opening.

He mentioned that he's heard of issues with the electrical supply for gas inserts being on an AFCI protected circuit. His units haven't had the problems, but he's heard of others having the issue.

It seems to me that the controls would have a transformer which steps the voltage down to 12 or 24 volts. So even though there's an arc to start the unit, the AFCI breaker doesn't see that arc because of the isolation provided by the transformer. Has anyone had issues or experience with this?

Old 04-06-12, 02:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Not specifically with fireplace igniters, but with anything that causes an arc (Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter) Sometimes worn out motors will cause one to trip. Is he dedicating a circuit to the fireplace or tapping into another circuit? Is your house new? Are all the circuits AFCI, per current code?

Old 04-06-12, 10:19 AM
S
Most of the electrical in the home (built in 1979) is existing, but the inspector had me put a group of new receptacles in the lower level on the new AFCI circuit. What he came up with was a really good idea, so I was happy to do it.

Anyway, the "last" receptacle on this circuit is next to the fireplace so I was just going to drop the wire for the FP off this receptacle. I mentioned that to the installer, and that's when he mentioned the possible issue with the AFCI.

I do have another non-AFCI circuit (a mix of lighting & receptacles) that i can take a drop off of. That way I can switch to the non-AFCI circuit if I have problems. It's $10 worth of Romex and maybe 20 minutes worth of work to run the cable.

Old 04-06-12, 03:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 352 Votes on 304 Posts
You have one issue here. If you extend an existing circuit, you are required to protect that with a AFCI unless it is not a circuit required to be protected, such as a bathroom. 210.12(B)

Most gas fireplaces do not use a spark ignition, but uses a hot surface or a pilot. With today's AFCI's I would doubt you will have an issue.

Old 04-23-12, 09:37 PM
You have one issue here. If you extend an existing circuit, you are required to protect that with a AFCI unless it is not a circuit required to be protected, such as a bathroom. 210.12(B)
Really?? Didnít know a circuit would have to be protected if you extend it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: