Interior Walls surrounding fireplace

Old 01-17-01, 10:03 AM
JohnDoeFB
Visiting Guest
Question

We have a brick fireplace in our den, on an exterior wall.
After finding a leak along the wall I removed the wood paneling that surrounds the fireplace. Behind the paneling was sheet rock screwed into the studs and then the brick leading up to the chimney. Is there a reason that there would be NO insulation in this area? It also seems that whenever this was built they did a lousy job, as it seems that the mortar was just slapped in around the bricks.
If I need professional help, who do I contact: a mason or a chimney sweep?

Thanks

Old 01-17-01, 11:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

John,
When was your house built? It may have no insulation in ANY walls.
As far as the mortar, if it was going to be hidden in a wall and not going to be exposed, the original mason just chose not to finish the mortar joints.
If you need professional help with inspecting/cleaning a chimney, call a chimney sweep. If you need professional help with anything else related to a fireplace or chimney, call a brick mason.
Good Luck!

Old 01-17-01, 11:51 AM
JohnDoeFB
Visiting Guest
Interior Walls surrounding fireplace 2

House was added onto over the years, this part built in 67. The walls next to the fireplace have fiberblass batts, (although I can't tell if there is any in the ceiling ((which slopes up from this point)) between the drywall and the roof sheathing)there just isn't any on the wall between the ceiling and the top of the fireplace. Do I need to add any to this area, or is it fire hazard and thats why they left it out?

Thanks

Old 01-17-01, 12:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

I have two fireplaces and have had insulation all around them since 1978.
Go ahead and add insulation every chance you get (my motto).
Should not be a fire hazard, as long as there are no cracks in the fireplace or chimney.
Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: