Build a New Chimney or Modify Existing

Old 04-27-12, 07:19 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Build a New Chimney or Modify Existing

I am looking at installing a wood cook stove hopefully before next winter. I have an existing chimney running through the kitchen that my grandparents used to have a coal stove attached to. The chimney is original to the house (1800's) and the liner is presumably designed for wood/coal (it was inspected 3 years ago and is safe).

The problem is that it is also attached to our oil furnace. I know it's dangerous to use the chimney for both oil and wood simultaneously (my grandparents were damn lucky running coal and the furnace), but I was wondering if there would be enough room maybe to run 2 chimney pipes out the same masonry? Or is that just wishful thinking?

I really want to avoid having to build a new chimney since there's really no good place to put one and, of course, $$. What would you guys do in this situation? Personally I have nothing against closing the chimney off from the oil furnace entirely, but my husband wants to keep it as backup.

Old 05-10-12, 12:40 PM
C
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Smile Chimney construction

Hi, Why is it dangerous to use
to use the chimney for both oil and wood simultaneously in USA? In Sweden were I live we have done that legally for more than 80 years. It might depends on the Swedish chimney construction? To learn more visit ******is available to download.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 05-18-12 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Link removed. Advertising NOT allowed
Old 05-18-12, 01:26 PM
C
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What size is the flue...need more intel to help????
Another option...run b-vent for the oil furnace...what diameter is the oil flue pipe ?

Classe....our htg. code does not allow for oil and wood to be vented through the same flue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: