Gas Log safety issue

Old 05-13-12, 08:13 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Log safety issue

We had Heat&Glo vented gas logs installed in our wood burning fireplace this past winter. The unit came with a Hearth & Home SmartBatt II wireless controller. Yesterday the logs ignited by themselves. No one in the room and the wireless remote indicated OFF. I was able to turn off the logs with the remote. I have shut off the gas supply. I don't know if the issue is with the gas valve, igniter, or remote receiver. Any idea if they are repairable or should I chalk up the $2600 loss and stay safe.

Old 05-13-12, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I'd be more likely to think the remote or the receiver may have an issue. Would be a cheap fix. May also be interference from something...does it have a code or channel you could change?

Since they are vented....I don't think the safety issue is too much of a concern, but turning the valve off when not in use is a smart idea.

btw...no cats or kids around are there? My cats have made phone calls, turned TVs on and off, etc.

Old 05-13-12, 09:34 AM
R
Thanks for the quick reply. No kids, no cats. What we don't need is for them to go on when we are asleep or away. I never want to run them unless we are in the room. Depending on what the installing dealer and Heat&Glo say, they may be in the landfill soon.

Old 05-14-12, 01:24 PM
R
Followup.

Went to the dealer today and learned that it's not uncommon for the smart Batt II system to be energized by radio signals in the area, not just those from the remote. He is taking out the remote and replacing it with a manual switch.
We will sleep much better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: