Shortest seasoning time for Oak?

Old 05-27-12, 09:18 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shortest seasoning time for Oak?

I'm pretty sure this will be seasoned adequately, but just wondering if anyone had any similiar experience and advice.
I helped clear a lot this past February/March and was able to get about 3 cords of free oak, all of which was live when cut. By end of Febuary/early march, I had cut, split and stacked it; 16-18" logs, split to average/smaller than average size, and stacked in face cord sized racks. Wood piles get good sun/wind exposure and only tops are covered. We typically start burning wood here (upstate NY) mid November.
I know oak typically takes longer than other woods to season, but I'm hoping this will be ready to burn this upcoming winter.
I usually go through 2-3 cords a winter; I have a little less than a cord of mixed hardwoods from last winter (maple, cherry and locust) to mix in with it as well.

Old 05-28-12, 05:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
I would think 6 months drying time would be more than adequate. There have been quite a few times that I ran short on seasoned firewood towards the end of winter and had to start burning what I had just cut a month or two earlier and have never had any issues..... but I do clean my flue several times during the heating season.

Old 06-07-12, 11:40 AM
S
I'd wait more than 12 months. Use it for next season.

Old 06-07-12, 05:16 PM
Agree, closer to 1 yr before i'd burn.

Old 11-09-12, 08:43 PM
F
For reference, looks like a year minimum would be ideal. I split a few pieces last week again to see how seasoned they were. While they look/sound failry well seasoned from the ends, they're still moderately damp/wet in the center. I threw a few pieces on a well established fire, they still burned well but sizzled a little initially.

Old 11-10-12, 05:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you just now splitting the wood? or did you just resplit a piece of firewood to check the inside?

Old 11-10-12, 05:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Good point Mark. To season the wood, it needs to be split and airstacked. I do mine in a teepee fashion until the air has had time to season it all around. Then I rack it.

Old 11-10-12, 05:59 AM
F
Resplit; this was just an update to my original post and providing some general information.
Originally I cut, split and stacked the oak when I first cut it down in Feb/March. I was hoping it would be seasoned by this winter and could use it this year, as I've seasoned other hard woods in less time. I've heard that oak takes considerably longer to season due to it's density and was starting to wonder by mid summer if it would be ready or should I start to collect some other wood to use for this winter, which is the direction I went in. I resplit a few pieces last week to see how seasoned they were, and I'd say about 2/3 seasoned at this point. They'll burn, but I'd rather wait until next season, or at least only if needed towards the end of this season.
Thanks

Old 11-10-12, 06:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO the best way to stack green firewood is to alternate the direction with each row of firewood. This promotes good air circulation. 1st row would be laid down with the sticks end to end [hollow place in the middle], next row - side by side, then end to end again, repeat until you are ready for the next stack of wood

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: