Fireplace hearth distance?

Old 06-20-12, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fireplace hearth distance?

Got the carpet pulled up ready for new hardwood flooring and thought it would be a good time to update my hearth. My house was built in 1951 and am pretty sure the 12" distance, from wall outward, would not cut it for todays code standards. Is there a clear cut distance that is standard for all hearth distances nowadays?
I'd rather add brick now, than find out later I was too short.
(No clue why the floor is partially painted, uh orange).
Thanks

Attached Images  
Old 06-20-12, 03:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I know you have an insert, but IRCC calls for 16" front to back for the hearth and 8" on either side beyond the side of the firebox opening on masonry fireplaces. If the firebox is in excess of 6 sq ft, then the front to back is 20" and 12 on either side. I like to put 24" front to back, mainly because I tile a lot of mine and I don't have to cut 12" tile .
We frequent a restaurant who didn't comply with code on their cozy fireplace, installed the mantle and discovered the non combustible surface had to extend 12" beyond the firebox. Looks odd with a wide tile face and a narrow mantle. Oh well.
The orange paint is obviously from a disgruntled University of Tennessee Fan. I'll catch it now.

Old 06-20-12, 05:34 PM
The firebox itself is 32" x28" (not including the wrap around metal), so I don't believe that meets the 6' sq. foot requirement.
Depth doesn't figure into the equation? Only length x height?

Old 06-20-12, 06:02 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I don't know fireplace code but I do know math: 32" x 28" = 896" = 6.22' so I believe you would be subject to a code governing boxes greater than six square feet.

Old 06-21-12, 01:18 PM
I don't know fireplace code but I do know math: 32" x 28" = 896" = 6.22'
Lol, after I shut off the computer I ran that size through my head and thought I was about right on or a tad over. Was going to check that calculation today. Hoped no one would catch it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: