Gas vented fireplace

Old 07-11-12, 04:41 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas vented fireplace

We recently bought an apartment that has a gas fireplace with a vent, not a chimney. We had the gas company out to look at it and they said everything was fine but we needed a new starter and the gas line should be fastened down better. the fireplace is turned on by flipping a switch (like a light switch). It has a pilot light.

What is involved with installing a new starter? Also, we would like to have an electronic ignition in lieu of the pilot since this is a second home and we're not there for extended periods.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-14-12, 08:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Please describe what you mean by a "starter." I'm supposing that this is a red button that generates a spark to light the pilot burner when you push it.

Did the utility guy have trouble getting the pilot top light? Please describe any problem in more detail

I would not try to change the ignition system to an electronic ignition.

Instead, learn how to light the pilot easily and reliably. Then you can shut the pilot burner off when you leave for an extended period and light it when you return.

Old 07-16-12, 02:33 PM
B
Gas Vented Fireplace

Thank you for your input. I have since learned that the switch both turned on the flow of gas and ignited it. Your idea of turning of the gas when we are away is a good one. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: