need help: potential repair of Oil Bolier Flue (clay liner)

Old 07-16-12, 08:46 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need help: potential repair of Oil Bolier Flue (clay liner)

We had home inspection 10 days ago due to potential house sale (but the sale fell through). But anyway, one item that came up is the below, I copied and pasted from the report.

"masonry chimney needs further evaluation by a qualified chimney company as the interior clay liner is defective. This chimney most likely needs a metal liner installed"

We are having another chimney guy attest to this. if true, what could I expect to pay to install a metal liner inside the chimney? Boiler is in garage where the runs about 20-25 feet up to roof (we have a raised ranch). Thanks!!

Old 07-16-12, 09:00 AM
B
I am planning on installing a flexible liner myself for a 30 ft chimney and after researching it I anticipate it costing me about $1000 for a 30' chimney for the liner. Expect to pay more for a liner that is smoother on the inside; this makes it easier to clean. Unless there are broken pieces stuck in the flue or other reason the liner won't fit down the existing hole, its not a difficult DIY task.

Old 07-16-12, 09:33 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Can vary based on lots of criteria, best bet is to have three or more contractors come out to bid the job so you can compare.

Old 07-26-12, 07:59 AM
T
update; Had reputable chimney company come out 2 days ago. They confirmed almost immediately that the clay lining is indeed breaking down like the inspector stated. Its a straight 8" wide chimney and only 20 ft high. They emailed written estimate yesterday at $1,550.. I think thats too high and I told them that. So obtaining 2nd estimate late tomorrow (Friday), I was hoping no more than $1,200 or so; we'll see

Old 08-01-12, 12:30 PM
T
Final update: Also noticed this is a very low volume forum, but thought be good idea if I documented final result. We did receive 3 estimates, 2 were in the $1,600 range and one at $1,300. All 3 had very good reputations, so went w/the lowest bidder. Also, all 3 estimates also included sealing of my Fireplace flashing brick chimney in center of roof. They installed ~ 20 ft Solid Round 6" SS steel liner w/Cap, all went well and approved by the local Fire Marshal same day. I am still surprised how much this cost, but am glad we obtained 3 estimates. This didn't look like brain surgery, but I didn't want to tackle this myself especially with the house on the market. Thanks everyone!

Old 08-01-12, 01:00 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Cool - thanks for the update

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: