Need advice of how to build the walls around the fireplace insert

Old 08-08-12, 07:13 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need advice of how to build the walls around the fireplace insert

Name:  IMG_20120808_154558.jpg
Views: 25924
Size:  44.5 KB

I have a brick wall around the back of the fireplace. I also have slate tile install underneath. What material should I use to build the walls around the fireplace insert and use for the top. For the piping and the area above I am going to have a professional do that. Is there a certain type of dry wall to use? I want to put stone veneer around the wall once that is finish.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-12, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 220 Votes on 194 Posts
You can build the wall with standard 2x4 lumber. The wood must be kept away from the stove per the manufactures clearances (Stand offs on the top is one example) which should be found on there web site.

For the stone veneer, standard drywall is fine.

Old 08-08-12, 08:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
For the stone veneer, see the "interior applications" section of this PDF. Drywall is acceptable (up to 10 ft, according to most guidelines), but CBU is probably better.

Old 08-08-12, 09:06 PM
G
Here is the manual. I need to know how to do the framing.

http://fmisupport.hcents.com/supportdocs/54024F.pdf

Old 08-09-12, 04:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I know it may seem like overkill, but once your framing is in place and you have made concessions for the flat screen TV mounting (2x12 laterally across the center) I cover mine with 1/2" OSB, builder's felt, then lath. I extend CBU from the face to the first stud surrounding the fireplace, since conbustible surfaces can't be within their guidelines.
As far as framing, you have to adhere to the clearances of the manufacturer. Premounted the mantel from the back, spacing it away from the OSB using a 2x6, so the rock will cover the 2x and the client got full use of all the mantel width.

Attachment 2509Attachment 2510

Old 08-20-12, 01:50 PM
Chandler, most appreciative if you have shots of the framing itself. I can see the osb, what is the material around the fireplace?? cement board?? The lath part, laid horizontal?? for mortar installing stone?

Old 08-20-12, 04:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Mike, yes the material around the fireplace is cbu. We actually added hearth "wings" prior to rock at the customer's request (read, mind change). The hole in the framing, oddly enough was left intentionally for the fireplace helper to crawl back in there and finish the pipe. The panel that covered it was pre-framed and just slipped in there and we fastened it in.
I believe the rock guy laid his lath horizontal.
Attachment 2774

Old 12-29-12, 12:54 PM
L
Hi was following this post a few weeks ago and thrilled to find this dialog. We need to frame out our fireplace insert. There were pictures of the job in progress but are no longer available that chandler posted. Any chance you can post again? We tried to hire this done but live in NJ. We waited for 2 months for the fireplace store to come out and give us an estimate and the scheduled date was one day after storm Sandy. Now they wont be back out until end of January. Just for estimate. We are handy so not worried about doing the work oursleves but want to make sure we do it right.

Thanks!!!