Would like to convert to gas in to fire place

Old 08-28-12, 03:48 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Would like to convert to gas in to fire place

I have an 30 year old fire place (burns wood),with a clay chimney.Could you direct me to what I would need to do to convert to natural gas fire place.Getting a little older and it time to switch.

Old 08-28-12, 01:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
A good quality gas fireplace insert would probably be your best bet. I found mine by shopping locally at fireplace shops. Since they specialize in fireplaces, you will most likely get the best advice. Do you have a rain cap on the clay tiles as they exit the chimney?

Old 08-28-12, 08:11 PM
B
Yes I do.I was thinking of doing it my self.I have run Black pipe before and drilling through the fire place should not be to hard. The hardest part might be the steel insert or heat a lator (?)(fireplace insert had duct but no fan that ran below fire place to about a foot above top of fire place on both sides.

Old 08-29-12, 03:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Do you have a heatilator installed, now? I thought it was an open fireplace. It may be possible to convert your existing heatilator to accept gas logs. Have you given that thought? A lot less work.

Old 08-30-12, 06:48 AM
B
Yes I believe I do.I have a steel insert (was put in when fire place was built,with a damper that I close when not in use). It has two chambers, one on each side of the fire place that take air in on the bottom and holes in the stone on top of the fire place. I would like to put in gas logs,I guess I do not explain my self very good (nothing new). My wife has finally said it OK to put in gas logs and she has started to look at some.So any help or direction would be help full.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: