Johnson: Installing Flue Pipe Through Wall

Old 09-16-12, 06:10 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Johnson: Installing Flue Pipe Through Wall

Hi i came accross this thread while searching for installation instructions and im hoping perhaps someone can give me some advice. I like B am also installing a flu pipe through a wall in our bunkhouse. Our problem is the thimble. We purchased a 6"thimble from our local hardware store but it came with no installation instructions. The thimbles diameter. Is much larger than our 6" stovepipe and it is considerably longer than the thickness of our walls. Ive searched on line and on utube but have sofar been unable to find any directions or anything that would give me a clue on how to install this giant ring into my wall without having a huge gap strait to the outside...
please any help.or pointers would be greatly appreciated
Tina

Last edited by ray2047; 09-17-12 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-17-12, 03:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Can you post some pictures of your application? Is the thimble metal or terracotta?? How thick are your walls? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 09-18-12, 09:37 AM
T
Thank you for replying. The walls are 2x4. With OSB interior and exterior. The thimble or"radiation shield" is made by a company called security chimney it appears to be made of sheet metal similar to that of household ductwork. It came with 3 pieces one ring has a tound black metal circle on the base one ring has a square base and the other ring has no base and isnot attatched to itself.
The building it is going into is a 12x8 shed that we have insulated and will be using for a winter workshop. My husband and i have no experiance installing new stoves but we have on occasion replaced. Damaged flupipe And the stove itself. and we have not come across any that were through the wall. The flupipe itself is single walled for the inside of the building and double walled blackpipe for the outside thou we have been considering switching to insulated. Selkirk. The stove came out if an old mobile home and we are reusing the existing flupipe. unfortunately. This site. Will not allow me to upload photos. From my cell phone

Old 09-18-12, 09:45 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
The section of Chandler's post in blue about how to put pictures in your post is a link to instructions for how to do so.

Old 09-19-12, 12:17 AM
T
Ive been unable to directly upload the pictures .so im trying to send them via a link to photobucket please let me know if they work
Mobile Photobucket

Old 09-19-12, 02:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
The pieces you have shown are made so you maintain at least 2" of clearance from any combustible material. It won't be hidden in the wall, but will travel through the wall and turn up outside the shed. Whether or not your existing pipe will work in this thimble, only you can tell. Your hole in the wall will be the diameter of the silver looking piece to give that necessary clearance. It will be fastened on the outside of the shed. Your pipe will run through this and the black ring will keep it centered in the hole. You will need a clean out tee and triple wall pipe to exit through the eave at least 2' above the roof line.

Old 09-19-12, 10:26 AM
T
Thank you very much. The unit aso came with insulation. And a seperate ring this ring is the same diameter as the thimblr but is not attatched. To itself. My quesyion is what is this third piece for and. Does the insulation go inside thr thimble against The black pipe or does it go on the outside of the thimble. Between the thimble and the wall?
This is my first time installing flu pipe and simple step by step advice/help /indtructions would be greatly appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: