making my own chimney

Old 09-27-12, 12:12 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
making my own chimney

i was wondering what some people might think of building my own chimney out of sheet steel. I have access to alot of 11ga sheet steel and need to put in a wood stove in my garage. the opening in the back of the wood stove is 6", so i would plan on building a 6" square chimney from my concrete slab up through my rafters and through the roof. i also would put another larger shield around the outside of it where it goes through the rafters and the roof. The price of stove pipe is ridiculus, the sheet metal to me is free and i have all the time in the world to make it. any ideas or thoughts would be welcomed

Old 09-27-12, 12:30 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi geek, I feel your pain, but you should pass. Insurance co would not like it. Local codes would surely not approve, at least in my little town. And from a personal note, have you ever seen a full blown chimney fire in action. I clean my regularly and the stove pipe from the stove to the chimney was glowing red hot and the neighbor came over to comment about the 10' flame out the top. I have seen others throw pieces of the masonry half way across the yard.

You can check with local code and fire officials to see if they are more optimistic than myself, and your insurance agent.

Bud

Old 10-01-12, 12:44 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
alright, I didnt even think about the insurance aspect of it. can some one explain to me the steps needed to install 6" pipe from the stove up through the roof? Please correct me if im wrong, stove will be 18" off the wall, 6" elbow up out the back of the stove with single wall pipe up to the rafters, double wall pipe through the rafters and out the roof. how tall above the peek of the garage do i need to go?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-01-12, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
It would be difficult to give you the exact method because you would have to follow your local fire codes.
You would normally use a certified metal chimney that is approved locally and follow your codes and the manufacturers instructions.

I know this may not be that helpful but you need to keep a wood burning installation legal.
Actually, you really should contact your insurance company as they may not even give you coverage for a wood burner in a garage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: