Using cement board under a pellet stove

Old 10-10-12, 03:03 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using cement board under a pellet stove

Hello,

I'm getting a pellet stove to replace an old propane space heater in my living room. Currently there is a 30" brick hearth on the floor top of brick is level with the carpet which is in the rest of the room). The pellet stove (Harmen P43) requires 33" front to back of floor protection for proper installation.
There is also brick going up the wall.

Realistically I anticipate the brick wall coming down in 1-2 years and slightly chaging the placement of the stove (it will be in the center of 2 rooms, rather than against the wall in one when the wall comes down). Because of this I am looking for a temporary solution.

Does putting 1/4" cement board under the stove and a little hearth rug over that suffice as a protective floor covering? Alternaltively I could try to add another row of bricks to the hearth, but that seems like a large task considering I will likely be pulling them all out shortly anyway.

This is in a ranch sitting on a slab in VT.

Thoughts?

Old 10-15-12, 05:27 AM
D
Cement board (over a combusitible surface) is considered acceptable noncombustible material to meet clearance requirements. I do not believe a hearth rug over a combustible surface is acceptable.

Old 10-15-12, 05:40 AM
A
Thanks Dac.

I am leaning towards a 2x2 pad of 18x18" cement pavers sitting over plywood, which may look slightly better. I need to get moving on it as the stove is coming tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: