Woodshop + woodstove = no insurance?

Old 10-22-12, 05:45 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Woodshop + woodstove = no insurance?

I've had Farm Bureau insurance on my cars & home for about 15 years now and during that time I've made no changes to my workshop which is in a detached garage. The building is post & beam construction, 46x24 with 8' walls and is completely finished with drywall & insulation and has a NG furnace for heat. I burn scrap on occasion in a woodstove which has a SS triple-wall stack through the roof.

That's a lot of background information but maybe someone can find some reason in there why the insurance company has told my wife they will not insure a "pole barn" with a woodstove in it. They claim nobody will. I thought my setup was pretty common and I'm surprised I've never heard of this. I don't know if the malfunction is they don't "get it" that this isn't some country hay loft but is a finished garage workshop. They haven't asked to inspect anything--they just insist I remove the stove or they will remove the entire shop from my policy. Period.

Old 10-22-12, 06:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
I'd see about getting an agent out there to visit/inspect your shop building. It's possible they'll make an exception once they see exactly what you have. I have a wood stove in my shop and while my insurance company hasn't ever asked any specific questions about it, they did take a pic of the exterior including the chimney that's on the front of the building. They do make me pay a surcharge for the wood stove in my house.

Old 10-22-12, 07:00 AM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
My parent's neighbour had issues with his insurance company and an external wood fire boiler he installed a few years ago. He had been with the same company for 25+ years, and they threatened to cancel his policy if he did not remove the wood stove which was installed in a seporate building from the house.

Might be time to do a bit of shopping for an insurance company that will accept the wood stove. I would imagine there should be a few out there willing to take on new customers if your isn't.

Old 10-22-12, 04:47 PM
G
Well I'm ticked off they wait 15 years to bring this up--and on the very day I have roofers installing new shingles. So the stack remains and I'm just that much more determined to keep the stove. LOTS of woodshops have a stove to burn scrap & I doubt Farm Bureau's word that none of them can be insured.

Old 10-22-12, 06:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 348 Votes on 301 Posts
Shop around for a new insurance company.

Old 12-20-12, 10:51 AM
G
Goodbye Farm bureau, hello AAA

I thought I should update this topic. I've procrastinated doing anything about Farm Bureau's refusal to insure my workshop but on Monday they made a mistake on our billing that was the last straw. By close of business Tuesday all 3 homes and our car & truck are now insured by AAA, and at a net savings. And the AAA agent said Farm Bureau is dead wrong to say "nobody" will insure a detached building with a wood burner inside. Furthermore this agent has gotten some business in this half-rural community because of this Farm Bureau policy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: