Proper burner installation for a gas fireplace With glass

Old 10-24-12, 10:00 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Proper burner installation for a gas fireplace With glass

Hello,

I am converting my fireplace from fake logs to sand and glass. The problem is, I am getting mixed messages on the install. You Tube, the fireplace store, and the fireplace glass provider all give a different set of instructions. Here is what I have so far: A 24" stainless steel H burner attached to the gas line with flex and with holes face down ON THE BRICK. (per fireplace store-guy instructions) It's leak free and working....The problem is, the glass guy is saying NOT to do this. He said put a Zinc plate direct on the brick, then 2" of sand, then the H burner, then a little more sand, then glass. He says the burner on the brick could allow gas to creep between bricks and flame up under the fireplace. That seems logical....But Zinc?

Can anyone tell me without a doubt how to handle this? Getting a zinc, or steel plate wouldnt be a big deal, but can it handle the flames? will it create a toxic burn off.

Thanks in advance for any answers. Brian

Old 10-25-12, 12:05 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I don't know much about gas logs in a fireplace but what you are doing sounds really off-the-wall to me. H-burner, like in a barbecue? With the holes firing down onto bricks and sand? I wouldn't do it that way and the zinc plate sounds like witch doctor recommendations.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: