Pilot Won't Stay Lit Gas Fireplace

Old 10-28-12, 09:00 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pilot Won't Stay Lit Gas Fireplace

Hi and thanks in advance.

The pilot on my freestanding natural gas fireplace will light just fine but after a little while or even a few minutes it goes out, especially if I try to turn the heat up past low.

The tip of the pilot flame is yellow which I think is not good. ???

Any suggestions for a fix much appreciated.

Hope

Old 10-28-12, 09:03 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
first thing to do is remove the pilot and clean it. Does the system use a thermocouple or a power pile? Next thing to do if cleaning the pilot did not work is to replace the t-couple or PP.

Old 10-28-12, 10:07 AM
H
Hi,

Thanks for your prompt response. I don't know what a thermocouple or power pile is. Will have to try to Google diagrams of similar models & try to find out.

Old 10-28-12, 10:15 AM
thermocouple:

Power pile:

Gas Controls

Old 10-28-12, 10:26 AM
H
Thanks! It's got the copper wire so I believe it's the thermocouple. I tried blowing into the orifice with a straw & also used a straw to blow into the hole a little ways down from the pilot orifice thing. But the flame is still largely yellow. The pilot itself will stay on indefinitely, it's when I try to actually turn the logs on that the trouble starts & everything soon goes out.

Old 10-28-12, 10:40 AM
yes, it sounds like the pilot is pulling away from the t-couple when the main burner is on. This can be a dirty pilot orifice symptom or a bad gas valve symptom/

Old 10-28-12, 10:41 AM
H
Thanks. Can I replace the gas valve or does the gas company do that?

Old 10-28-12, 10:52 AM
I would highly recommend the gas valve be replaced by a professional. You have not narrowed it down to that. I would have the unit serviced. It is highly unlikely it is the gas valve at fault.

Old 10-28-12, 11:10 AM
H
Thanks. Here's a photo I just took. Maybe it will shed more light on what I have or need to buy as far as a thermo couple if it comes to that. I haven't tried canned air yet but I used a pipe cleaner in the pilot hole & it's still doing the same thing. If the thermocouple is the copper thing I think I can probably change that myself. But yes the gas valve sounds scary. I appreciate all your help!

Old 10-28-12, 11:13 AM
H
The unit is about 11 or 12 years old. Maybe time to replace the logs?

Old 10-28-12, 11:15 AM
The pilot needs to be disassembled to be cleaned properly. You may want to have a professional do this so that it is put back together leak free and checked for additional problems. If you are up to it then you are welcome to disassemble the pilot and get the orifice out and use a needle to make sure the orifice is clear and all debris has been removed from the pilot.

Old 10-28-12, 11:18 AM
H
Okay many thanks for your help.

Old 10-28-12, 03:45 PM
H
Just wanted to say thanks again. With your help, I bumbled around & actually managed to fix it! I didn't take the pilot apart although I was going to, but I used the needle you suggested to clean the orifice & thought I'd try it one more time before disassembling.

The pilot came on blue instead of yellow & the logs have stayed on for several hours now. Doing the Happy Dance! You were a lifesaver. I'm super broke & really didn't want to have to hire someone to come in & fix it.

Old 10-28-12, 03:48 PM
congrats, I'm glad you fixed it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: