Wood burning fireplace with started - add artifical logs?

Old 10-29-12, 09:40 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wood burning fireplace with started - add artifical logs?

Hi.
I have a wood burning fireplace that has a gas, actually propane starter, with the tubing that runs all the way across the fireplace. I do not want to burn real wood, but want to add the artifical logs. The chimney and fireplace has been cleaned by professionals. When looking for gas logs, they all come in sets with converters, etc. Can I just add the artifical logs and bottom filler, and light the fire place and use for heating? Or do I need to go through a complete update process?
Thank you.
Judy

Old 10-29-12, 03:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Judy, welcome to the forums! Most of all you want to be safe. With that in mind, since you already have the gas to the location, I would buy a gas log set and have it installed, professionally. Working with gas is on the teetering edge of not being DIY friendly.

Old 10-29-12, 04:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,525 Votes on 1,408 Posts
I agree with Chandler on purchasing a complete log/burner set. I don't believe you can use the gas starter as a continuous flame system. I had originally installed a gas log set and it looked beautiful but it did very little to heat the room. I took it out and installed a sealed combustion fireplace, basically an insert with a glass front. I also put in the thermostatically controlled blower fan. This has proven to be a very effective heating system and very energy efficient. It has its own vent pipe that runs thru your existing flue pipe.

Old 10-31-12, 08:25 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you. I will go the professional route.

Thank you. I will go the professional route.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: