Is a buck stove 91 too heavy to put inside my house?

Old 11-08-12, 09:20 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is a buck stove 91 too heavy to put inside my house?

Got a buck stove model 91. My husband says its too heavy to put upstairs in the living room of our bilevel house. The mfg weight says it is 471lbs. He and his friends that moved it totally agree. He says it will fall through the floor without supports in the family room downstairs. Where can I find out if my house built in the 80's will bear the weight of the stove. Another question, the stove says freestanding or insert. It was previously used as an insert so it has no legs. Can I sit it on firebricks or do I need to buy the legs. When it says freestanding, does that mean that Im gonna be able to sit in the in the floor (of course Ill have to do the modifications and spacing from combustibles along with proper chimney pipe) but does that mean I can use it without a fireplace or does it still require a fireplace even when its freestanding. Already in October my power bill increased $450 just from running the furnace and its not even cold yet. I really need to do something, I have a good size yard with wood supply available plus a local carryout has ready to use cords for sale so wood supply is not an issue. I would really like to get this thing in the house and install it to use this year. Shes really pretty and everything works.

Old 11-08-12, 09:28 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

In cases like these, it's generally best to get someone competent on site to evaluate the conditions for you.

Old 11-08-12, 11:21 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yes i agree but where do i start

The local stove dealer says they dont do installs, just delivery, they dont have any advice on how to determine if the floor will hold the stove. They recommended an installer. He came out and looked and he just said HMMM thats a good question, call me when you get it figured out and Ill be happy to install the chimney and stove for you. I called several installers to do the chimney part but they wouldnt advise on the structural component of the house, they all said that the homeowners are responsible for that part of the information. I called the building code office and they said that there is no minimum weight bearing code on the building plans so pulling my original plans will not help at all. I see a lot of these being sold and installed, whats the secret to getting the info so it doesnt fall through the floor. Others who are buying these stoves, how are you determining if the floor will hold the weight? Im sure this cant be a bring it in and hope for the best situation. There must be a place to get the knowledge I require. Thanks

Old 11-08-12, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
No expert....but I'd buy the legs and call Buck. The legs because you want the height above the floor and the call because they should know. Are they still in business?

Assuming the legs have feet...that would spread the load somewhat. 471 divided by 4 legs is just 117lbs. If the feet spread that out somewhat...might be only 60lbs per sq inch or so. If it's near a wall with supporting walls underneath...that doesn't seem excessive.

What kind of floor joists and flooring do you have?

Old 11-08-12, 12:23 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi newtowood,
471 pounds is 3 friends having a brew having conversation in that spot. Having them visit 24/7/365 might get old (they call that a dead load) but I doubt they will fall through the floor with any typical type of construction. The orientation of floor joists and main beams may imply some sagging over time, but no dramatic failures should be expected.

The bigger questions would be approval from your insurance company, local codes, and making sure the install meets all requirements if allowed. I used to heat with wood and now use it for enjoyment and back-up, but it can be a pain. As for expecting a significant reduction in your energy costs, that would be difficult and a lot of wood. If your electric bill is $450, I would look at reducing your heat loss first. Happy to discuss that if you choose.

I often go to a supply house to ask for trades people when needed. Find a brick supplier and see who he might recommend.

Bud

Old 11-09-12, 03:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
If your floor is combustible (wood, carpet, etc.) I would consider a fabricated concrete product hearth pad to sit it on after you discuss it with Buck Stoves. That will also spread the weight out considerably. In reality you are talking about the same per sf weight as a refrigerator, but with the pad it spreads better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: