Heatilator CD4236IR low blue flames only

Old 11-20-12, 08:11 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heatilator CD4236IR low blue flames only

Hi All,

I bought this house about 1 year ago ( October 2011) and the gas fireplace worked fine. I did not use it over the summer for obvious reasons, and now when I flick the switch on the wall, I only get small blue flames and the front gas holes don't even stay lite.

I took it apart and cleaned out the burner plate, thinking some holes may be clogged. I even used a pipe cleaner to get inside the burner holes. Put it back together and still just get small blue flames.

Any Ideas? I called a tech and it's $165 just to get him out here to look at it.....and trying to avoid that bill with x-mas on it's way.

Would it make sense to order a new burner plate? The one I have is kinda rusted...but doesn't look bad.

Any suggestions appreciated.....and don't eat too much turkey this week.

JFG

Old 11-20-12, 09:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,051 Upvotes on 3,634 Posts
Heatilator is a class act when it comes to service info. My hat is off to them.

Now.....down to business. You want to roast a turkey in your fireplace and you only have small blue flames ? This just wont do.

Kidding aside....I posted a link to your firelplace unit. Apparently it's normal. Is this a natural gas or propane unit ? Possibly low fuel supply ? Most installations have a Dante valve installed. It's a round silver unit that uses a special key. It's in the gas line and there to shut off gas for service. Is this valve (if you have one) open all the way ?

http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/ins...s/4040_262.pdf

Old 11-20-12, 09:58 PM
J
Unhappy

HI PJ Max,

thnx for quick reply. I will check the link you sent to look for any insight.

it is natural gas. I

There is a gas shut off valve right before the main gas line gets connected to the metal line going into the unit.....is that the dante valve? no key needed, just a simple handle to turn. I will inpect again in the morning for other valves though.

Same fireplace upstairs and working fine, so if it's problem with incoming gas line, it's way out of my league!

You are right that it seems to not be getting enough gas though.....other thoughts?

already went through manual and nothing on troubleshooting this issue....mostly pilot light related.

thnx

Old 11-21-12, 08:35 PM
Group Moderator
Some Dante valves have the handle attached like yours. The only other thought I have is that maybe something clogging the orfice and airway..... like a spider web maybe ? Low pressure is more of a problem in propane - not natural gas systems.

Old 11-22-12, 07:51 AM
J
HI PJMAx,

thanks, I will heed your advice and check the airway/orfice.

happy thanksgiving to you and your family.....and thanks for the response.

Old 11-22-12, 08:02 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks....and happy bird day to you and yours.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: