Fireplace Insert Blower Motor

Old 12-11-12, 04:25 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

The house we purchased has an old Conestoga brand fireplace insert with a Fasco 4C015 blower motor. This motor is 30 years old and not working. After much research, I found that this Fasco motor is replaced by a Dayton (Grainger) 1TDP8. The 1TDP8 arrived today but I am confused by the wiring. The old motor has two black and one yellow wire (top photo). The new motor (bottom photo) has three wires but they seem as they are all attached to something. The motor is supposed to be attached to the wires inside of the fireplace insert where there is a knob on the exterior that moderates how high the air will blow. Any help on the wiring would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Images   
Old 12-11-12, 06:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
On the bottom Dayton blower....those wires are connected to the starting/split phase capacitor.

The wires you need to connect to will be in that little junction box.

Old 12-24-12, 11:14 AM
B
@Maxypaxy I am trying to find a replacement for my blower in old Conestoga insert too. Looks like yours is the same as mine. Did you have issues installing it. I think my mount would have to go across where that junction box is.

Old 12-24-12, 12:03 PM
Group Moderator
BoDangley
A lot of times with universal replacement units like that.... the junction box is set in a random location. You may be able to turn the motor within the housing to point the junction box in a different direction

Old 12-25-12, 08:44 PM
B
Thanks PJMax, I see what you mean. I have done that with a car alternator once. The flange at the exhaust for the blower is also possibly an issue for me. The last motor install looks exactly like the new one, but looks like the one side of the flange was removed. I hate to buy something like this to have to hack it all up.

Old 12-25-12, 09:09 PM
Group Moderator
I understand about hacking things up. Unfortunately with age we must do what we must do to make things work.

If you were really creative (and lucky) you might just get away with buying the replacement motor.

Old 05-27-13, 08:08 PM
K

Dear maxypaxy:

Iím hoping that you can help me out. My parents have a ďThe ConestogaĒ fireplace insert. Several years ago the fan motor broke. My parents removed the original motor to find a replacement locally but were unsuccessful. In addition, since that time the original motor was thrown out. Due to your posting, you helped me immensely by finding the proper motor! However, my problem is the wiring schematic is gone. I fear investing over $120 and burning out the motor. Would you be able to send me a listing to the proper placement of the wires? Also, does your new motor work? The specs that Iíve read about concerning the Dayton Motor 1TDP8 mentions not to use a speed controller have you come across any issues?

Per the attached pictures this is all I have to go by.

I see two wires (black and white) coming out of the back of the fireplace insert. Iím guessing that this is a thermostat that tells the fan motor when to turn on?
Black: Unknown connection to?
White: Unknown connection to?

Per the enclosed attachments there are three black wires coming out of the on/off toggle switch:
Top Wire (On Position): Unknown connection to?
Middle Wire: Connected to the rheostat.
Bottom Wire (Off Position): Unknown connection to?

Motor Controlled Rheostat:
Black: Connects to the center screw on/off toggle switch.
White: Connects to the neutral of the power cord.

Power Cord:
Hot: Unknown connection?
Neutral: Connected to the white wire from the rheostat.
Ground: Unknown connection?

Motor Wire Hookup:
Unknown connection?
Unknown connection?
Unknown connection?

Thank You,
KingPurplePimp

Name:  Fireplace 1.jpg
Views: 4731
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  Fireplace 2.jpg
Views: 5062