Gas fireplace keeps going out and reigniting

Old 12-24-12, 05:15 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas fireplace keeps going out and reigniting

Hi there...I have a gas fireplace, glass enclosed with external venting. Wall switch activated. Unit fires up EVERY time without problem, but will, with frustrating regularity, shut off spontaneously. The pilot light stays lit, so what I do is simply go over to the wall switch and lightly press against it (it is a "Decora" type on/off wall switch, identical to every light switch in the house), and the fireplace will once again come to life......only to shut down again at some point a variable amount of time (usually several minutes) later.

Occasionally, it will actually stay fired up for an extended period of time, maybe hours. As mentioned before, whenever it shuts off, the pilot DOES stay lit, so it's just a matter of flipping the wall switch off/then on, or even just pressing lightly in an upward (on) direction on the wall switch, which will re-ignite the "logs". Help! Please!
thanks a bunch in advance.

Old 12-24-12, 05:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,406 Votes on 1,301 Posts
If it seems like it's the switch then it probably is.

If you lightly press it.... without actually turning it off and then back on.....it would suggest that the switch is intermittent.
I would either replace the switch or substitute any single pole switch for a test.

If you replace or sub in a new switch and still have the problem......we'll need the make and model of the insert to help you further.

Old 12-24-12, 05:54 PM
V
I swapped out the switch with another one I had around. I will be delighted to see if that does it. Will report back after I've given the system a several hour test run.
Thanks!

Old 12-24-12, 11:05 PM
V
Well....apparent success! Have had system on, without any interruption or spontaneous shutoff, for the past 5 hours. It would seem that the problem was with the wall switch. Thanks for the help!

Old 12-24-12, 11:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,406 Votes on 1,301 Posts
That's real good news. You're welcome

If you have the same problems......dredge up this thread

Old 12-31-12, 01:13 PM
T
Fireplace not staying lit

PJmax,
I had been having the problem of my fireplace going out. After reading this thread I realized I too could press the switch lightly and it would come back on. I have to admit, though, that when I first read this thread I thought you didn't know what the heck you were talking about. But I followed your advice and went to the local hardware store and purchased a new $2.50 switch. Lo and behold my fireplace now stays lit! That was the best $2.50 I ever spent! THANKS!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: