Suggestion For Heating Source For Basement

Old 01-03-13, 09:53 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Suggestion For Heating Source For Basement

Curious to hear peopleís opinions on this. I have a ranch home with a large basement. I just had a furnace/AC put in last year and the installer said that the basement would probably be cold in the winter because, when they finished it, they didnít put in adequate vents/returns to accommodate the size of the basement. He said they could add some, but since the ceiling is drywalled and there is a firewall, it might be kind of a pain.

Another person I knew threw out some suggestions. I could do space heaters here and there, but Iím looking for a more permanent solution with a thermostat. I would also prefer natural gas powered since I feel like my electric costs are already very high. The way my basement is setup is that there is a finished part on the front of the house and an unfinished section (about a 1/4 of total basement) towards the back of the house. I also have a wood burning fireplace in the middle of the basement that backs up to the unfinished portion of the basement.

Originally, the installer suggested a vented natural gas heater for the basement, but recently said the cost of those has gone up quite a bit. He thinks it would cost to me would be around $1200 to buy/install. And on top of that, he said heíd have to vent out of the front of the house so it could be an eyesore.

Another option I was thinking about was utilizing the fireplaceÖ.maybe like a fireplace insert that vents out the chimney? Itís a wood burning fireplace, but after being there for a year, Iím realizing that weíll probably never use the thing. We have another one upstairs in the family room that we use all the time.

Is a fireplace insert with a thermostat the easiest way to heat this basement you think?

Old 01-03-13, 10:53 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Check the "wood pellet inserts for a fireplace. Once loaded the can be controlled by a thermostat and depending upon size may be able to go more than a day with one filling. A traditional wood burning stove/insert is difficult to shut down and control, they like to burn. A pellet stove can easily stop the flow of pellets and thus be shut or slowed down to match the call of a thermostat.

I burn wood, but I'm considering a pellet stove for the lower frequency of filling. I'm getting old .

Bud

Old 01-07-13, 09:28 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What about a freestanding gas fireplace put in that fireplace. You should be able to run the gas B vent straight up the fireplace flue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: