I need help with a fireplace remodel

Old 01-05-13, 12:50 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I need help with a fireplace remodel

This is the fireplace in my bedroom. It doesn't work. I don't know what they did. If the wind blows at all it fills our house with smoke!!!

Anyway, I would like ideas on how to remodel it from these old, dingy bricks and mantle. I would like to avoid tearing out the brick if at all possible and cost is definitely a factor. I can do just about any work DIY....within reason.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Images  
Old 01-05-13, 01:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Have you closed the damper to see if that will stop the air from blowing into the room?
What exactly doesn't work? Have you built a fire and the smoke wouldn't draw up the chimney?
Has the flue ever been cleaned or inspected?

Old 01-05-13, 01:27 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is no damper that works. I have to put insulation in it to keep the cold air from coming in. I built a fire in it last year and it worked great. I did again the next night with the wind blowing and it filled the house with smoke. It will draw up, but any wind reverses it. I have kinda given up on using it for now (I'm sure it wouldn't be an easy fix), but I would like it to look good.

Old 01-05-13, 01:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Sounds like maybe installing an insert and maybe a flue liner might be the best fix. I assume you are currently just concerned with the looks ??

I'm not that fond of it but you can paint the bricks. I've also seen a few homes where they applied polyurethane to the brick. I don't know if there would be any issues with the poly if you went back to using the fireplace. A wood mantel would also change the looks of the fireplace.

Old 01-06-13, 01:23 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How about putting some thin set over the bricks and cover with tile of your choice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: