Heatilator GC100, Pilot light won't remain lit

Old 01-19-13, 10:29 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heatilator GC100, Pilot light won't remain lit

I have a Heatilator GC100 that has worked fine for years. This year I can't get the pilot light to stay lit. I follow the lighting procedure and turn the knob to Pilot, press it in, and ignite the pilot. It lights and remains lit as long as I keep the button depressed. As soon as I let it go so I can turn it to the On position, the pilot light goes out. I've held the button depressed for several minutes, but it still won't stay lit.

I took off the glass and lit it, but it went out as soon as I let it go to turn it to the On position. And when I flipped the wall switch, I couldn't detect any gas flow to the burners.

All electrical connectors are clean, tight, and secure.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Old 01-20-13, 09:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
It sounds like your pilot generator needs to be replaced.
In the link I left you below......it's the manual for your unit......go to page 7 and you can see the pilot generator/thermopile. Diagnostic steps are listed on consecutive pages.

http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/ins...uals/18386.pdf

Old 01-20-13, 04:25 PM
G
Thanks. Where's the best place to purchase replacement parts?

Old 01-22-13, 10:47 AM
G
I got a new thermopile from a local fireplace shop. After installing, it still doesn't work. Symptoms are exactly the same, I light the Pilot and no matter how long I hold in the Pilot button, as soon as I release it to turn it to the On position, the pilot flame does.

Any other ideas of what I can check?

Old 01-22-13, 08:07 PM
G
I checked the voltage with a multimeter: new thermopile is bad, old one is good.

What else could it be? The heat limiter?

Old 02-03-13, 05:35 PM
G
I guess nobody knows what to do if the thermopile fails, so I purchased a new gas valve and pilot assembly. Now I basically have a new fireplace for a couple hundred bucks. Easy to install--just took a couple trips to Home Depot to purchase all the right connectors for the gas valve. This fireplace has never worked better.

Old 02-03-13, 09:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
Sorry to leave you hanging here. For some reason my subscription to this thread didn't activate.

Glad you got it working. Sometimes the issue is where the pilot generator connects at the valve.

Old 02-05-13, 09:24 AM
G
It's all good, I like the new SIT valve better than the old Robert Shaw. I now have a variable flame and it generates a lot of heat. And it was a really simple upgrade that anyone could do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: