Solid Fuel Stove

Old 01-20-13, 08:39 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Solid Fuel Stove

I have just installed a solid fuel stove, it has been working well for the past few weeks. Last week my Carbon Monoxide alarm went off. I assume it is a problem with my stove but how do I fix it to ensure it is safe to operate again?

Old 01-20-13, 08:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,505 Votes on 1,393 Posts
You installed it or you had it installed ?

What brand/type is it ?

It sounds like a vent issue. Is it a new vent ? Thru the roof ?

Old 01-20-13, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
Thumbs up Welcome to our forums!

I would as well assume that you have a venting problem, either temporary due to use or from an improper installation.

More details are needed as far as the make and model of the stove, what type of home and room it is in and pictures of the stove and install would also help.

Old 01-20-13, 11:04 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Thank you for your response

It is a Mulberry stove, a friend installed it for me in my previous fireplace setting. The building supplier assured me it was a straight forward job. It has been connected to the existing flue. Any ideas on how to improve the ventilation?

Old 01-20-13, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
If you replaced an existing solid fuel (assuming wood burning...correct?) was this same Co detector installed and did not ever alarm?

What is different about the new unit and what type of stove is this, free standing, insert, ....?
Also, where is the detector installed in relation to the stove.

In spite of your suppliers assurances the installation may not be as straight forward as he suggests.
You still need to follow the new stoves installation instructions as to chimney size, height and configuration, along with its operating procedures.

Even with a good installation it is possible to get short term back-draft that would set off a detector.....things like opening the door too quickly during a smouldering fire, not pre-warming the chimney, etc.

To answer your question directly, adding height to a chimney and making sure you have an open window nearby can increase chimney draft, also make sure that you don't have any exhaust fans or other fuel burning devices running that could create a negative pressure in the house.

In order for your stove to be approved it must have an installation and operating manual.
The best place to start in solving your problem would be to review the installation and operating specs and check to see if yours complies.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: