New house, interior of fireplace appears to be falling apart

Old 02-02-13, 11:38 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New house, interior of fireplace appears to be falling apart

I noticed the firebox interior wall is falling apart. It is a stone like material (mortar?) that is just falling apart. Behind it, however, appears to be an aluminum shielding. Is it safe to continue to have fires with this aluminum exposed, or should I call someone out to patch up my firebox? Here is a link to ta picture of the issue: imgur: the simple image sharer

Old 02-02-13, 01:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 405 Votes on 361 Posts
I don't know for sure but I wouldn't used the fireplace until the broken fire brick is replaced.
How old it the house? Usually a builder has to warrant a new house for 1 yr, sometimes longer.

Old 02-03-13, 05:59 AM
C
Is this a newly built house or just purchased new to you?

Wondering if it is a DIY fireplace a previous owner did as it is standard practice to use full size firebrick, usually tan in color, to line the firebox.

What you have there looks more like plain old tile of some kind.

Should be firebrick set with refractory mortar which withstands the heat.

If it was a previous owner DIY I have to wonder too if there are proper clearances to combustible materials that may be behind the aluminum.

Old 02-05-13, 02:06 PM
B
That's a manufactured metal fireplace with refractory panels. When the panels fail like that, don't use it until you get the fireplace people out there to inspect it. The panels look like they're in bad condition, and cracking all over the place too. Right now you have no protection from high temperature operation so don't use it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: