Thinking of lowering our Mantle

Old 02-07-13, 11:12 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thinking of lowering our Mantle

I'm looking at putting our TV above our fireplace. My issue is space. the TV might fit as is, but it'll be tight and I have a BA Center Channel speaker that I want to use. So I'm thinking of lowering our Mantle, then having the TV and speaker mounted.

How are mantles generally attached? Is this something a fairly green Do it yourself home owner can do? Or should I hire someone to do it?

thanx

Attached Images  
Old 02-07-13, 11:20 AM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
Is that a gas insert?
That looks like brick, which means you are probably disassembling the top portion of the mantle and removing a row of bricks before reassembling.
Not sure how well that will work. The insert can pose an issue as well.

Old 02-07-13, 11:37 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
You'll want to check code in your area as well, there are usually rules about how close the mantel can be.

Old 02-08-13, 04:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You can't lower the mantle if it infringes on the heat triangulation rules. Your protuberance of the mantel can only be a certain depth for a certain height above the edge of the firebox. Most likely the mantel is set to it's minimum code requirements as it is.
There would be no way I would try to lower that mantle just to install a speaker. The TV looks as if it would fit fine. Here's a clearance guide, but local inspector's guidance would prevail.

Name:  mantle_fireplace_min_clearance.jpg
Views: 5711
Size:  46.5 KB

Old 02-08-13, 05:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
You could probably just remove the mantel and replace it with a shelf..... not sure how well that would look but it should give the extra inches you desire.

Old 02-08-13, 07:29 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I spoke with somebody regarding the building codes, they told me that the min. distance from the hearth opening to mantle is 12 inches. But he didn't mention that's also dependent on the depth of the mantle.

thanx all - I'll keep looking

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: