Heatilor Electronic Ignition Fireplace - No Pilot/Flame

Old 02-07-13, 01:01 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heatilor Electronic Ignition Fireplace - No Pilot/Flame

I was hoping some of you gas fireplace experts could help me diagnose a problem with a Heatilator ND3933I natural gas fireplace with an electronic ignition. When I turn the switch on to start the fireplace, the ignitor starts clicking. I can see it sparking at the pilot, but the pilot does not light (and in turn, the fireplace wonít light either). Seems to me that gas is not coming out of the pilot, although I verified the gas shutoff valve is on and there is gas from the shutoff valve to the fireplace valve. Plus, I do not hear any hissing or smell any gas at the pilot, like I do when I light a standing-pilot fireplace, although I am not sure whether itís the same for an electronic ignition unit. I confirmed all wiring connections between valve, electronic ignition unit and ground are correct and secure. At this point, Iím suspecting a clogged pilot or a faulty gas valve but welcome other suggestions. Thanks.

Old 02-07-13, 10:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,510 Votes on 1,397 Posts
Your fireplace uses the intellifire ignition system. In the link I left you is the troubleshooting manual from Heatilator. Check out page 54.

http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/ins...s/4031_552.pdf

Old 02-08-13, 08:12 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I did go through the troubleshooting steps, although I don't have any tools to measure gas pressure. The last possible cause shows as "Module voltage output/valve/pilot solenoid ohms reading," but it doesn't provide any instructions on how to perform this test or what acceptable ohms measurement would be. Do you know how to test for correct resistance readings?

Old 02-08-13, 08:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,510 Votes on 1,397 Posts
In the service text it mentions that this is a 3 volt valve system.

Also in the text it mentions checking the transformer.
The transformer is around 3 vac. I would check for that voltage when the unit is calling for heat (sparking).
Probably 2.8 v or higher would be ok.

If that is ok.....check for +/- 3 volts on the gas valve when calling for heat.
If no......remove the two wires from gas valve and check them for the 3 volts.
If still no......control module problem.
If yes.....set your ohm meter to Rx10 scale. Does it show resistance ?
If yes.....set meter down next scale... Rx1.....still showing ?

I'm a little confused about your system. With the intellifire system.....the manual says that the spark lights the pilot....yet in the parts views there is no pilot assy shown.
When the unit was operating normally.....did the sparker light the main burner ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: