Gas Log flame won't adjust

Old 02-28-13, 11:51 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Gas Log flame won't adjust

Just replaced the thermopile on my gas log set and all is well except the flame adjustment no longer functions, flame is at maximum and can't be reduced with the adjustment on the built-in valve assembly. Any ideas?

Old 02-28-13, 03:44 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 896 Votes on 826 Posts
You could start be telling us what log set you have.

Old 02-28-13, 04:09 PM
B
Info on gas log set that won't adjust

Sorry, didn't think manufacturer was needed:
Log set is Model VM40/AVM40, 28,000 - 40,000 BTU vent free, situated in a vented peninsula fireplace. Manufacturer is Martin Industries of Florence, AL. Believe they are no longer in business.

Old 02-28-13, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
Yes....you're right. Martin Industries was bought out several years ago by Monneson who did put out fireplaces under the Martin name but they were completely different.

It seems that the supply of Martin parts got used up. I was checking with some of the fireplace repair/parts supply places I deal with and the parts are all but extinct.

That valve has two knobs ?
One is OFF-PILOT-ON and the other one is + / - for flame adjustment.

Could the knob for flame adjustment be loose ? Spinning on the valve shaft ?

Old 03-01-13, 08:51 AM
B
No, the flame adjustment knob isn't spinning, it rotates about 190 degrees and hits stops at both ends.

Old 03-01-13, 10:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
I checked my fireplace. Has the same type of setup as yours. The knob is held in with one screw and there are plastic end stop built into the back of the knob.

I had never lowered mine before so I had to give it a try. It worked.
I was trying to see if there is anything to service. There doesn't appear to be.

Are you able to see a part number on the gas valve ? Could be quite a challenge to replace.

Old 03-02-13, 12:13 PM
B
The only numbers visible without disassembling the log set and disconnecting the gas line is a casting number 21AI that doesn't appear to be much help.

Have found some similar valves on-line for $169, probably not worth that to me just to lower the flame. While looking for a number and checking thermopile output, In noticed that there is a little adjustment available, almost imperceptable. For what it will cost in time and $ to replace the valve, I'll adjust the gas flow using the turn-off valve or just leave it as is.

Thanks to all for taking the time to consider this issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: