Using old 2 - stack chimney for direct vent gas log fireplace

Old 03-05-13, 01:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using old 2 - stack chimney for direct vent gas log fireplace

My house is 100 year old and has a 2- stack chimney. Originally one was used to vent the coal furnace in the basement and the other vented a gas burner in a fireplace on the first floor. The coal furnace vent is no longer used as I have a high efficiency gas furnace vented separately. I have had both stacks checked and cleaned and are in good shape. I want to put in a new direct vent gas log set with doors in the fireplace. I don't want to draw the warm air from my living room up the chimney and I wish to avoid the expense of installing 40' of double walled flue pipe to provide combustion air for the gas logs. My thought was to drill about a 3" hole in the side of the fireplace, near the floor, to the unused other chimney and draw my combustion air from the unused other chimney. Is this okay? I may not be using correct terminology but I hope I am making my point. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-13, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 257 Votes on 242 Posts
Welcome to the forums !

This really isn't my department but I have a few observations .....

Most direct vent fireplaces are sealed glass fronts..... not opening doors. Are we talking about the same thing ?

I can't answer your question directly but I was under the impression that you needed to not only use the double walled stainless steel to bring in fresh air but to exhaust the hot air directly outside the flue to keep condensation from forming on the inside of the flue since direct vent fireplaces generate cooler combustion gases.

Others will be passing thru and they'll leave their opinions on the issue.

Old 03-05-13, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
I want to put in a new direct vent gas log set with doors in the fireplace.
What is the make and model of said unit?

Dirct vents models are concentric style vents, that are exhaust and intake combo from what I remember.....How exaxtly would you pipe it?

Old 03-06-13, 07:39 AM
IIRC the enclosed gas log stove I installed was concentric pipe only up to the chimney connection. The B-vent adapter kit needed to install to a flue had only the exhaust piped in cheaper flex aluminum up to the top. It used the air column surrounding the exhaust to feed the combustion inside the stove. There probably ARE other types that may require more expensive double- or triple-walled all the way up. I would avoid those if trying to stay in a budget.

Old 03-06-13, 08:03 AM
Thanks for clarifying my question. That is correct, the double wall would be to bring in fresh air and the intent is to have a sealed glass front. The purpose of the fireplace is for aesthetics more than to heat the living room where it is located. I'm trying to avoid the cost of the double wall by using the other chimney as the source of my fresh air, thus I avoid the cost of installing any liner at all.
As to the single wall flue pipe suggestion, I suppose that will work and keep cost down, but it still requires the removal of the damper and the cost of installation. I can drill the 3" hole myself to access the other chimney column and save that expense as well if that would work. That is the essence of my question. Will it work and is there a safety issue that I've not thought of? Thanks again.

Old 03-06-13, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
What is the make and model you are interested in???

You need to run both intake and exhaust all the way to the roof or top of the chimney...

Old 03-06-13, 10:01 AM
Lawrosa, I haven't chosen one yet though we've been to a couple of local stores specializing in fireplaces, gas logs, inserts, etc. Is that important? I was thinking a gas logs only and a glass front to cover the entire opening. Thanks for the diagram.