Majestic Gas Fireplace Pilot Not Working

Old 03-06-13, 09:18 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Majestic Gas Fireplace Pilot Not Working

Hello All:

I have a Majestic gas fireplace that has had its pilot go out suddenly this morning. I opened the fireplace and tried cleaning the pilot area, vacuuming etc. Then I made sure that the ignitor spark was working correctly. I turned the main gas line to the fireplace on and tried to relight the pilot, but I dont see sparks again. What is happening (at least seems like) is that after I turn the gas on the ignitor wont spark.

It sparked once and I momentarily saw a yellow flame but it went away. Also I tried flushing any air by holding the pilot knob pressed down for 5 minutes. I hear a gas hissing sound, but I dont really smell gas after 5 minutes.

Some pics attached.

Any input to help resolve is appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Attached Images     
Old 03-06-13, 12:47 PM
F
Update: Got fireplace started again, but it turns back off automatically, I think the pilot wont stay lit. So fireplace shuts back off after 15-20 mins

Old 03-06-13, 03:18 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 896 Votes on 826 Posts
First I would make sure that the flame is aimed properly at the thermocouple/pile. Also try gently wiping any soot off the thermocouple. They are extremely sensitive to proper adjustment and being clean. Thermocouples do wear out eventually so it's possible that your's is due for a change. But, try adjusting and cleaning first.

Old 04-17-13, 05:04 AM
F
If the pilot flame is very yellow and large (instead of blue), you definitely need to clean out the pilot hood and pilot orifice. The flame should be directed toward your sensors and completely engulfing them. When your pilot assembly is dirty, the flame will "candle" away from the sensors instead of shooting directly over them.

It looks like it has a lot of white carbon buildup on it; this is what you want to clean off. Take a small toothbrush and make sure to clean it inside and out. I would even recommend taking it apart and cleaning the orifice out.

A more permanent fix is to replace the pilot assembly. Cleaning it may fix your problem for now but chances are it will end up the same way in a few years

My Gas Fireplace Repair - Your Gas Fireplace Repair Resource

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: