J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Noisy chimney

Hi folks,

My chimney gets incredibly noisy when it's windy. This is what it looks like:

Name:  IMAG0152.jpg
Views: 4355
Size:  20.2 KB

The cowl on top is fixed (i.e. doesn't rotate) and I think that this is contributing to the noise. The chimney pipe itself is a non-standard size so the cap was custom-made.

Do you think that if I got a rotating cowl, this would significantly decrease the noise? My concern is that this might *add* to the noise as I then would start to hear the sound of the cowl rotating in the wind (it gets REALLY windy where I live).

In addition, part of the 'noise' comes from the sound of the chimney itself vibrating in the wind. As you can see, the chimney sticks out well clear of the pitch of my roof (by law) and I wonder whether there is something that I can do to stabilise the chimney more (or insulate the noise).

Any suggestions relating to the cowl and/or the chimney pipe itself?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Attached Images  
Old 03-25-13, 12:28 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
You say the cowl on top is fixed, but is it removable, probably not? My first suggestion would be to remove it. Even if you get some rain, a little would probably not be a problem. but with that cowl removed, see if the noise remains or is gone.

Do some shopping for a different cap and see if any advertise their ability to not be noisy. If you find one, I would make removing the old and installing the new all one trip. You may have to have an adapter built as well. If the noise remains, then you would need to address the air flow around that chimney.

Kind of out of sequence, but consider something round clamped around what is there. That might change the problem.

Bud

Old 03-26-13, 01:39 AM
J
Thanks Bud. Some good suggestions there.

I'll take the experimental approach by changing one thing at a time and see what works. The cowl is attached, but it might be worth getting it off and seeing the effect.

Will probably have to find someone to make a new one then as well but will be worth it to get rid of the incessant noise.

Thanks again

Old 03-26-13, 10:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
Is that chimney just regular steel ductwork or is it something heavier ?

If that is thin it may also be vibrating/resonating with the wind.

Old 03-27-13, 01:07 AM
J
@PJMax I've sealed off the chimney pipe to see if that reduces the noise, otherwise it might well be the vibrating and resonating of the pipe itself, in which case I will need to go to Plan B.

Now I just need to wait for the wind to pick up again. Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: